cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this OK?

Not applicable

Is this OK?

Ubuntu didn't install itself properly when I selected side by side with Windows (set itself up on a tiny space instead of the whole one that I had allocated).
Took it off and did it again with the advanced option. It asked me to partition so I did the swap bit first - 2GB as I have 1GB memory. Took ages then I selected / for the mount point and installed Ubuntu on the remainder. There were different options in the drop down box but I didn't understand the other ones - I should have read up first but I expected it to be like the Mint install which is much easier.
This is a screenshot of system monitor - is it OK? 
BTW it is working very well but  haven't tried hibernate yet.
17 REPLIES 17
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Is this OK?

So you didn't setup a /home partition? you are only showing / as 30Gb on this.
try a df -h in a terminal, like this:
ken@Duo:~$ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1              20G  5.1G  14G  28% /
tmpfs                1.5G    0  1.5G  0% /lib/init/rw
varrun                1.5G  372K  1.5G  1% /var/run
varlock              1.5G    0  1.5G  0% /var/lock
udev                  1.5G  180K  1.5G  1% /dev
tmpfs                1.5G  2.0M  1.5G  1% /dev/shm
lrm                  1.5G  2.2M  1.5G  1% /lib/modules/2.6.28-14-generic/volatile
/dev/sda2            163G  80G  75G  52% /home
/dev/sdb1            917G  711G  160G  82% /mnt/stuff
/dev/sdc1            459G  159G  277G  37% /mnt/s2
/dev/sdd1            294G  8.6G  270G  4% /mnt/s3
/dev/sde1            1.9G  53M  1.9G  3% /media/Ebook

The ones you are interested in are / & /home
sdb/c/d are additional drives I have mounted in /mnt and the sde is my memory stick.
Easiest way to modify the partitions is to boot from a live cd and use gparted from it, then you can resize the partition without having to unmount a live partition.
BTW I always use the /swap as the LAST partition as it will hardly be used, so I add / then /home then /swap last.
csogilvie
Grafter

You don't really need a /home partition though, so not having one is not a major issue.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I KNOW you don't need one, but poppy has SPECIFICALLY wanted one in the past, it also makes it easier to swap distros and still have all your documents/files safe when you reformat /, I know that Ubuntu 9.04 is meant to keep the /home even if it is on the same partition as /, but last time I did it it didn't.
Not applicable

Thanks for replies and reassurance about the set up.
I did think that a home partition would be good but as I don't seem to have managed it this time, I could probably try when the next version comes out or have a go with Gparted which I understand I can get from the repository.
I find the terminal work a bit difficult unless it is fairly simple.
For the moment it will do because I don't store much - tend to put it on external media, so the computer is mainly for the internet.
Don't mind reinstalling when new version comes out as there is not much to set up with Linux (hooray).  Hopefully, I will get it right at the outset next time.
I have put the computer into hibernate this morning and it was OK.
I started out with just shy of 40GB. Now the total is 37.3GB so that is fine as I have used 2GB for the swap, although it is not showing. On Mint it does show the swap partition, so this is what I was puzzled about.
As I said, I am very happy with the installation so will leave alone for now.
Also need to study this usr/bin etc business as I don't understand it.
I would have used the whole disk because I don't need the Vista bit but I know that I probably won't be able to reformat it to NTFS if I need to (e.g. if I want to sell it at any time) because the Windows setup doesn't recognise the hard disk - something to do with RAID. I would need a USB floppy for the drivers apparently so don't want to go down that road as it is far beyond my skills.
PS the desktop looks gorgeous - very Mac-like so am including a screenshot just for fun. Perhaps this thread could turn into a Linux screenshot one!
Not applicable

Whoops - forgot to add the screenshot!
HairyMcbiker
All Star

If you ever wanted to reinstall windows then there is no problem, just tell it to delete ALL the partitions on the disk and it will then use the whole thing for windows again, it doesn't recognise Linux partitions (even though it could/should) but WILL delete them. Shocked
ps have a look at the szko theme for AWN, it is much nicer than the standard one, available from the awm home page, you could also remove the lower ubuntu task bar and either add the Windows List to the top bar or use awn to display the running apps.
Not applicable

Thanks for advice Biker. I only have recovery disk, not full one and stuck a (full version) XP disk in so this is where I found that the HD wasn't detected.
I have now put Gparted on and this is the position (see screenshot) so I reckon I might be able to do a bit of editing later when I have studied it.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well even booting from a live cd you can run gparted and delete all the partitions and do a reinstall after that, although why not sell it with a better OS on it  Cheesy
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Because it's quite hard to get OS X working properly on non-Apple kit Tongue
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, but not impossible, and (hypothetically speaking of course) very rewarding.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You would think that Apple would be happy to see new uses found for their OS Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well even OSX is based on 'NIX  Cheesy (Ok Free BSD)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, IMO that's one of the things that makes it so good. Shame it's got very little support for gaming (as yet), though that would no doubt lead to conflict between those wanting to overclock or hack their PCs and Apple's no messing with your machine philosophy. Could be interesting.
Be3G
Grafter

Ahem, could we try and maintain the original topic please. Smiley