cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there no other way around this.......

Jekyll
Grafter

Is there no other way around this.......

Rather stupidly as I never learn, I installed DirectX10 onto XP and I am wanting to remove it, but as my system restore option is off I hope that does not mean the only way out of it is a format........please tell me different as I really do not want to format again.
I have nothing to hide as my XP is 100% genuine but I was led to belive that you no longer have to activate it now Vista is the new child on the block, but how wrong some people can be, as you do need to activate still........its just a small niggle for me and added to that the amount of installing I would have to do again I really dread the thought of formatting my HD
Is there really no other way around this?
18 REPLIES 18
artificer
Grafter

Re: Is there no other way around this.......

you can try the add/remove option.  you may have to dig into the registry for stray artefacts.
you could always try linux.  no product key, no activation, no anti-virus, no anti-malware, no anti-spyware.  easy to install and lots of applications come with the os, ready to use on a livecd.
Jekyll
Grafter

Well I did have a look in add/remove and I see no mention of DX10 in there, I might have missed it though, but am pretty certain its not there.
Linux? I have heard of it, but know nothing of it, sounds great but how is it for gaming purposes? more importantly how much is it?
holdtight
Grafter

I would also try the add/remove programs option before anything else and make sure you put a tick
in the "show updates" box at the top of the panel

EDIT:
I've just done a google search on this admittedly a very quick one and from what i can gather
your predicament is not looking good and may well come down to a format if you are having
serious problems, XP will not run Directx 10

Jekyll
Grafter

Thank you Bill
I have searched all day long and all I could find was the opposite, people wanting rid of DX10 from Vista!! and many things in between
I'll look into this in the morning, with the add/remove and thanks for reminding me of the show updates bit, I'd forgotten that and that would have explained me being a bit unsure of it being listed.
I mainly got around to wanting rid of it due to one of my games being a bit jerky at times, whereas before all this it was fine, and on the games forum, a guy told me it could well be DX10 that is to blame
Why the hell do people have to go trying to port these things over when its not ever going to work well or at all? it makes me so mad and whats worse I fall for it, along with many others I suspect  Angry
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is possible that the DX10 install only installed DX9c.
Run Dxdiag from the CMD prompt and see what it says
Jekyll
Grafter

Well this is what it says Jim:
I wish you were right but I think its DX10 alright  Sad
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/24/2008, 20:35:20
      Machine name: N-NESUNMV4Z8GZX
  Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
          Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: INTELR
      System Model: AWRDACPI
              BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6600  @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
            Memory: 3070MB RAM
          Page File: 349MB used, 4606MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
  DirectX Version: DirectX 10.0 (4.10.0000.3311)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quick check - how did you install DX10 - was it one of the cracked versions or straight from Microsoft (I must admit that I didn't think that was possible).
If it was one of the cracked versions - which one
Jekyll
Grafter

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Oh dear - that is in alpha and is no longer supported.
Can I suggest as a next step a reinstall of XP but keeping all your settings and programs as described here which may fix it.
Jekyll
Grafter

My thoughts exactly Jim, I did have a look at the add remove programs list and ticked show updates as suggested by Bill I think and of course it shows nothing about DX10 (would'nt would it  Roll_eyes
Thanks for digging that out Jim, I'm much obliged to you, I'll look into this more tomorrow as its a bit late for me to start on something that requires me to concentrate........just hope I can follow it ok as I am not good at things like this, still its my own stupid fault, why could'nt I have left well alone!  Angry
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I would suggest printing out the instructions and the pictures so that you can see all the stages - that is what I did when I tried it.
In my case the Windows install was so messed up that it couldn't fix it - major registry foul up.
Jekyll
Grafter

Guess what? no printer, I had one but when I got my new PC for some reason it would'nt work, just kept on giving me check your connections and all was fine, so now no printer and I have to memorize it all  Roll_eyes
So I'll have to get a real good nights sleep and hope to be ok come the dawn to get cracking
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

so now no printer and I have to memorize it all 

Unless.... you can borrow a computer / laptop, to use for the "repair" period..... ?   Just a suggestion  Wink
Jekyll
Grafter

Nice idea shutter, but no dice I am afraid  Smiley
I might have to go into my Computer bloke and ask him if he can put it all on a disk (the updates that is, although he'll charge me for it, may have no choice though.
I had another chap on a forum suggest me trying to install the dx9 redistributable over it and see if that helps, but I had read that doing that would'nt work, so I'll have to sleep on it and decide in the morning what to do, either that or leave as is, I really don't know  Undecided