cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an adaptor that can convert a pc port to an ethernet port

tgr
Grafter

Is there an adaptor that can convert a pc port to an ethernet port

I want to connect my old pc which is 6 years old and does not have a wireless connection to my Apple Time Capsule so I can back up the pc.  I tried a usb wireless card which was for a USB2 port and it worked for a very short time but windows rejected it saying it was not authenticated by them.  After about 5 mins it stopped working and i had to plug it in over and over and got same report so i have given up on that idea.  Possibly this is because of the age of the computer it only has USB 1 ports.  I would like to connct it directly by an ethernet cable but the PC doesnt have ether ports.  Is there anything that can plug into an normal pc port and convert it to an ether port
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Is there an adaptor that can convert a pc port to an ethernet port

Loads of them, dirt cheap, use them all the time on old PC's with no ethernet onboard.
Work fine with USB1 as well.
Here's one example: http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4RXT
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

or if it has a PCI slot buy a cheap ethernet card. Should not cost more then £5 .
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

How do you plan to use your Time Capsule to back up your PC? Just by using the TC as an external drive?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Peter
or if it has a PCI slot buy a cheap ethernet card. Should not cost more then £5 .

This is what I did.  Bought one from Maplin for about £6 if I remember correctly.
tgr
Grafter

yes i just want to connect it to the time capsule via ether lead as i have tried wireless as i eplained and it did not work
tgr
Grafter

looked at that one it looks ideal but i notice it is usb2 connection and i have only usb1 ports will it still work
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep, that'll work fine albeit at slower speeds unfortunately (the difference between USB 1 and 2 is pretty much just the speeds they'll transmit data, USB1 is 12mbps if I remember correctly and USB2 is 480mbps) - it will work at the fastest speed available. I think you'd get better performance getting a USB2 pci card and plugging into that, but if you're going to do that you might as well just get a PCI ethernet card. It literally will be plug-and-play.