cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my router switching my computer on?

Denzil
Grafter

Re: Is my router switching my computer on?

Why have we suddenly resurrected this old thread? I doubt the OP is watching any more!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Didnt realize it, but that the Second time that DeadKenny has risen from the dead a month after the event
geewizz
Grafter

Because deadkenny is obsessed with resurrection.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: shakuk
I have checked my Power Management... it says "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"
Could this be it???? I have unchecked it, if it works, I will be so so grateful... time for more trials Cheesy

Without a doubt that is almost certainly it. It's a feature used for networks where you can turn on machines remotely by sending a 'magic packet'. Basically the network card remains powered on when the machine shuts down. Windows leaves it in this condition. The network card then listens to all network activity. If it hears its own address 16 times within a small time period (milliseconds) then it will send a signal to the motherboard to turn itself on and power up the machine. It is called Wake On Lan. It can however also be a bit sensitive sometimes. I've put machines into standby before and just making a http request from another machine will wake up the machine that is in stand by. Even a ping would do it.
As stated elsewhere WiFi doesn't work with this technology. You CAN however hook up a computer to a wireless AP via an ethernet cable and wake a computer using WOL like that. If the computer has a wifi device built in (PCI or USB) as its main networking adapter then you can't use WOL.
It's also worth looking at any scheduled tasks you've got setup on windows. Modern motherboards have a feature called ACPI which allows the operating system to access certain parts of the bios - EG Wake on Alarm. Windows can then set this feature of the bios to wake up the computer at a certain time so that it can run a scheduled task.
Also as mentioned elsewhere you can power up the PC via a mouse click if its in standby. It's annoying and another reason I rarely use standby. I find hibernate does a better job for me.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

didnt you read our comments above and the last on the preceeding page?  Original was in July
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

So???
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shakuk

Hey hey guys, shakuk is back!  Smiley
Yes, it was the "bring my computer out of standby" thing that worked, I just never had the courtesy to come back and thank everyone for helping me out!
The reason I have have suddenly come back to my resurrected thread is because now I'm at uni and using my laptop intead, but it keeps swtiching itself back on again! Except now I'm no longer on Plusnet, but thought I'd come back and see how I fixed it last time, see if the problem is the same one!
Cheers guys, promise to report back how I do this time!
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Apologies for my resurrection ;). I didn't spot the date, but then I think the forum is not very active so the topic was on the first page or two so assumed it was recent (even now there are 3 month old threads on the first page).
However, is this the forum rule then about thread resurrection? I find it varies and some forums get quite snotty about it (which baffles me really, especially if the thread topic is of use to other people), some don't care, and some get quite snotty if you start new topics when one already exists!
James
Grafter

I think Peter was more amused about the resurrection, given your forum name Smiley
techguy
Grafter

We just need Cartman to come along now.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@Deadkenny  Some reckon I have a warped sense of humour but stiil on your last point.
get quite snotty if you start new topics when one already exists!

I dont think we have a general rule but it is best to keep to one post per subject.  The moderators will very often lock one of the posts and combine it with the older very similar post.  Keeps the story simple.
Other people unfortunately often come in on a very active threads, who dont even read the previous couple of comments and go back repeating the previous, I dont think you did that