cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my router switching my computer on?

shakuk

Is my router switching my computer on?

Hi,
i switched to Plusnet about a month ago, and its been fab apart from the fact that I swear the BT voyager 2901 Router that I've received is switching the computer on at completely random times!
I'm pretty sure its the router because I've tried unplugging the router and it doesn't switch on. But the router doesn't have to be switched on the give the computer the boot, it just needs to be plugged in :S
I've been suggested by a friend that the ethernet connection may be powering the computer somehow... by the way, I've already checked my BIOS and Wake-on LAN isn't enabled!
Any further suggestions? Any help greatly appreciated, I'm bored of having to unplug the router every time I'm finished with the computer! Thanks.
25 REPLIES 25
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Is my router switching my computer on?

If the mere presence of power to your router switches your computer on, it can't be the router causing it (because it's switched off).
Maybe some very dodgy electrics?
You should be able to leave your router switched on 24/7.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shakuk

Thanks for the quick response!
Teehee I know its bizarre suggesting that a switched off router should be able to boot a computer... mayber I should trial for longer...
I don't like leaving the router on... I'm one of those all up for conserving power people!
It has also been suggested that maybe my power button is faulty, but I have yet the frame of mind to check it out... something to do with two pins on the motherboard?
Denzil
Grafter

I am also one for switching things off, but my router is always on. They use very little power. Switching on and off frequently can make BT's equipment think there is a problem, and reduce your speed.
If the router is turning your PC on just by being plugged in you have some dodgy wiring, which should be checked by someone competent. A faulty power button could be the cause. It doesn't switch the mains on and off, just asks the power control circuit on the motherboard to boot up or shut down. If you open the case you should see a wire going form the switch to the motherboard. Try unplugging it and seeing if it still boots up.
puddy
Grafter

if the computer is unpluged  from the mains its off. if you turn it off by the button on the front its on standby and yes a router can turn it on.  Some large companies ask user/staff to power down so updates to software can be carried out by the it department in the night.
The only time IT cannot wake the computer if is the plugs been taken out.
Have you checked in (vista) -xp device manager>network adapters>pick you router go to power manager and see whats in their?
Puddy
shakuk

I have checked my Power Management... it says "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"
Could this be it???? I have unchecked it, if it works, I will be so so grateful... time for more trials Cheesy
Thanks so much for the suggestions!
PS I checked the power buttong, it is heavily prtected by lots of screws and metal casings so I dare'nt take it apart any further. If the above does'nt work I shall resort to bring the thing down to the computer shop Sad
rman

Your router maybe sending a wake on LAN signal to the computer which will cause it to switch on if the network card you are using is enabled for this.  You may find either the router or the network card have an option to disable this.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But what is causing a router to issue wake-up calls?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Denzil
Grafter

Besides which, if we read the original post...
Quote from: shakuk

I've been suggested by a friend that the ethernet connection may be powering the computer somehow... by the way, I've already checked my BIOS and Wake-on LAN isn't enabled!

Smiley
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just a note, but if you are connecting by wireless (I don't know if you are), then it won't be Wake-on-LAN. WOL doesn't work over wireless.

Any chance there is a dodgy power strip or connection, or maybe even are getting power-cuts (even small blips)?
Many modern PCs have a BIOS option that will boot the PC if the power is connected, which is handy if you just flick a switch at the mains or on a power strip and everything boots up, but it can also cause the PC to boot if there is a glitch in the power as it thinks you've switched on the power at the mains.
Check the BIOS and see if there is such an option, and if so you might be able to disable it. Then if power glitches occur the PC will remain off.
Another slim possibility is, do you have any kind of remote controlled mains switch? I've got one so I can turn on the PC in the other room from the living room (for my media server), but the downside is it's an RF powered switch and potentially a neighbour could trigger it with a similar frequency device, and then my PC will boot.
techguy
Grafter

Def sounds to me like a power strip fault combined with a BIOS setting if Wake On LAN is disabled.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just a note, but if you are connecting by wireless (I don't know if you are), then it won't be Wake-on-LAN. WOL doesn't work over wireless.

clearly stated Ethernet and Lan
imroberts
Grafter

I once had to deal with an issue for a relative whereby their computer was turning on when the phone rang.
Checked the BIOS settings, wake on LAN, wake on power, wake on modem, etc. to no avail. The computer even turned on when there was no connection to the phone line!
I concluded some bizarre electrical interference problem. Never fixed it though  Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just came across this page re mouse switching on
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: pierre_pierre
clearly stated Ethernet and Lan

No problem. Just sometimes people mix terms. I know plenty who say Ethernet just to mean it's networked somehow but really it turns out to be wireless.

shakuk: P.S. Is your computer fully "shut down", or is it in some kind of "suspend" mode? In the latter case then yes sometimes a mouse can wake the computer depending on hardware and software support for this feature.
However you say unplugging the router stops it happening, so it sounds far more like a Wake-on-LAN call. Unless it is down to the phone ringing. After all, if you have the phone cable connected to the router and a call comes in, perhaps there's some issue there.
Try unplugging just the phone/ADSL cable to the router rather than the router itself and see if it does it again.