cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my desktop ready for the scrap heap?

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Is my desktop ready for the scrap heap?

In danger of being bashed (or claiming I am hijacking this thread) use you Linux disk. It will (usually) boot to a desktop that will let you access the HDD and save the file to somewhere else (ftp site, pen drive, WHY)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Comment withdrawn,  Hairy Biker (who posted just before me) is correct.
If that does not work, try putting the hard drive in the freezer for a while then read from it whilst it is warming up.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Put the disc in a bag in the freezer for a while and connect it to another running system - you may have a couple of minutes to transfer some data...
Alternatively, it is possible to run Linux from a CD only (no disc), put the frozen disk in and copy the file to a USB key etc on your "broken" PC.
Requires a little Linux knowledge though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

kilburncat
Grafter

I've tried the frozen linux disc technique, and I've partly removed the hard drive, put it in a bag and surrounded it with ice packs but still the clicking starts when Windows tries to start up. I used an Ubunntu disc which sort of starts up OK but whenever I try to access TGF02T-4 the clicking starts up and I get the message 'unable to unmount because file system on device is busy'.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If it is clicking even when trying to read from your Linux disk then your only real options are :-
1. put it in a sealed bag and leave it in the freezer for 24 hours then try again
2. send to a recovery firm for ££££££££££££'s
Looks like disk is FUBARED.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think it is the temperature cycling that sometimes frees-up stuck discs so you probably need to allow it to warm up whilst trying to read from it.  When I have got this technique to work it has often taken multiple attempts (as the drive warms up) before the disc will start spinning.
kilburncat
Grafter

Despite repeated attempts, this method did not work. Once the hard drive starts to click, the sands of time are quickly ebbing away.
Time/Tiny XP PC b.4Feb03 d. 26Jul11 RIP  Cry
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

RIP? Just put another drive in there the rest of the machine will be ok!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!