cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my desktop ready for the scrap heap?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Is my desktop ready for the scrap heap?

Quote from: A
If you have a spare couple of weeks, you could erase and install Windows and all its miscellaneous drivers etc.
Then reload service packs and hundreds of security patches.
Then you could re-install all the separate applications.
It will then run almost as fast as new.

While you've not directly said anything bad about Windows the underlying tone makes it more than clear that you are bashing it.
We've already had the linux debate here and now its been silent for a while you're back trying to put off the op from using Windows.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I haven't any experience at reconstructing the XP version (yet) - but I've had problems with Win98, NT and 3.1 series..........

Jeremy, what you are saying is you have no actual experience re-installing any version of Windows since those of the 1990s.  That's a long time ago now!!!  You say you are not here to bash Windows but in that case what are you actually contributing to this thread?     
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

in my experience, XP is not particularly onerous at all to reinstall.  Most drivers should be to hand, if you lucky enough to have the MOBO disk, if not most can be downloaded from the manufacturers website.
I have recently rebuilt a mates laptop, a very old tosh satellite 1130. Downloaded the drivers from Toshs website easily, and the whole thing, including installing office, acrobat and all updates took about 3-31/2 hrs.  ( I must admit i was using one of my custom XP disks, with SP3, IE8, WMP11 and Ryans Update pack from around 6months ago  Roll_eyes )
Laptop ran much faster and smoother after this.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: ReedRichards
I haven't any experience at reconstructing the XP version (yet) - but I've had problems with Win98, NT and 3.1 series..........

Jeremy, what you are saying is you have no actual experience re-installing any version of Windows since those of the 1990s.  That's a long time ago now!!!  You say you are not here to bash Windows but in that case what are you actually contributing to this thread?     

Well said.
@penfold: I've also reached the conclusion that XP is very easy of all the Windows systems I've used. Never had a problem with drivers, it recognises most devices easily and the networking support is also very good.
Not to mention that every organisation I've worked for recently has also used XP... and nothing newer I might add.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Whilst I'll accept that XP is a much improved system in terms of re-installs - compared with earlier releases,
I cannot understand why the mere suggestion of carrying out a re-install should cause such widespread accusations of Windows bashing.
I could have said much worse things Roll_eyes - but that would have been off-topic - so I didn't.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

mere suggestion
  Grin
You know, and we all know, it was much much more than that.  Wink
Time to withdraw with dignity methinks.....  Cool
VileReynard
Hero

Seriously, at the time I made the original suggestion, it was intended as a viable proposition.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Stop coming over all innocent! As you well know it was the totally unfounded
If you have a spare couple of weeks,

that is the issue.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero

Loading Windows and virus checker and configuring the internet connection shouldn't take too long to get a minimally working system.
You can add Office, non-essential drivers, updates to Windows in an incremental way.
etc.
I was talking about total elapsed time BTW - tea breaks are allowed.

7up
Community Veteran

See, we're gradually getting there... to the "I'm actually the hero providing the cure" thing I was saying about earlier.
Fox, face it, you've been had. Everyone here can see what you were getting at, you just can't admit you were wrong.
I'd suggest no more replying here foxy as you're digging yourself a deeper hole with each reply.
kilburncat
Grafter

Everyone was terribly helpful on this one, but the only thing that worked was buying an XP re-installation disc on EBay for £6 (fortunately the chap at Laptopsparesdirect was incredibly helpful as I had to enter the BIOS because the installation got stuck and my wireless keyboard ceased to function at this point). Although the interface is not as clear as on my Win 7 laptop, I am highly delighted with my spanking new 7 year old Tiny computer Crazy
VileReynard
Hero

If you have a spare couple of weeks, you could erase and install Windows and all its miscellaneous drivers etc.
Then reload service packs and hundreds of security patches.
Then you could re-install all the separate applications.
It will then run almost as fast as new.

Sorry - where did I bash this thread?

If you look at the timeline of this thread, I'll admit I was badly wrong in saying a couple of weeks elapsed time...
Several months would appear to be a better estimate... Grin

kilburncat
Grafter

"You were right all along"...is that what you wanted to hear,  Evil Fox? I had gone back on the thread to see who suggested that and I noted it was you.    Roll_eyes But at least we have the advantage that I tried everything else first, which is why it took so long. I even tried Ubuntu but my ancient hardware could not support the latest version Shocked
VileReynard
Hero

People seem to taking this so seriously. Smiley
Nice to hear you at least you tried Linux, though.
I'm in the process of reinstalling Ubuntu on a 600MHz, 384MB PC which has BIOS that claims it is "Y2K" compliant. Grin

kilburncat
Grafter

It is now.
It now makes a clicking noise whenever it gets to the Starting Windows part of booting up, I've tried booting on the old XP system, with the new XP disc installed, with the disc on 'Repair' facility, in various Safe Modes, but the clicking continues and nothing happens.
I've switched on with the cabinet side removed and the fans whir away happily.
I think the hard drive has had it, but there is one file I would like to gain access to if I can. Is there any way of doing it? I don't have another spare desktop.