cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my desktop ready for the scrap heap?

kilburncat
Grafter

Is my desktop ready for the scrap heap?

My XP SP3 Home  desktop is around 6yrs old, I've doubled the RAM to 1Gb, it has an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.6 GHz processor. The 80 GB hard drive is half full. It is now struggling to open documents, Firefox, Thunderbird, Word etc. I use CC cleaner, Defraggler, Auslogics Reg Defrag and tried Systemcare which seemed to make it go even slower. I have an additional Win 7 new laptop which I am also using. Is there a free or paid for programme or procedure I'm missing that would speed things up on the desktop or have I tried everything and should I discard the computer?
82 REPLIES 82
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Is my desktop ready for the scrap heap?

Several things
Which internet security packages are you running
Have you checked the running processes/programmes  using Task Manager
Have you checked the virtual memory settings - they may be fixed at a low level to suit your previously installed memory
kilburncat
Grafter

I am using AVG Free 2011 update (although it was just as bad with the previous version).
As you seemed to suggest, I've just increased my virtual memory (Total paging size for all drives) from 720 to 1440 MB which it seemed to be recommending.
The Task Manager list has so many things on it, I'm afraid I don't know what they all mean.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm in the middle of switching from an XP1600+ , also with 1GB to a new PC. Some months ago I changed from AVG to MS Security Essentials and found there was some improvement in speeds.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

You say its around 6 years old. Have you reinstalled windows at all in that 6 years? - Only reason I ask is that you've not said so and old installs of windows become bloated and slow no matter what you do to them. Even MS will recommend you reinstall it at some point..
If it helps, until a few months back I was running a 1.8GGHz on 512MB and a 40GB drive. It handled everything with ease - far quicker I might add than this 2.8GHz with 1GB of ram does. Oh.. and this one gets way hotter too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kilburncat
Grafter

I havent re-intalled Windows as I don't have the original disc as it was not supplied by Time Computers (who are no more).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Providing you have the sticker with the product key there's no reason why you shouldn't get hold of an XP disc from elsewhere to do the re-install.
I've just grabbed a PC that a neighbour was going to take to the dump, it's a 1100GHz. I've done a fresh XP Home install starting from an XP SP3 Home disc I got from a friend and it's running faster than my XP1600+ which I also haven't rebuilt for many years.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: kilburncat
My XP SP3 Home  desktop is around 6yrs old, I've doubled the RAM to 1Gb, it has an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.6 GHz processor. The 80 GB hard drive is half full. It is now struggling to open documents, Firefox, Thunderbird, Word etc. I use CC cleaner, Defraggler, Auslogics Reg Defrag and tried Systemcare which seemed to make it go even slower. I have an additional Win 7 new laptop which I am also using. Is there a free or paid for programme or procedure I'm missing that would speed things up on the desktop or have I tried everything and should I discard the computer?

It's called Linux and it's free.
I have a 9 year old PC, which doesn't see much use.
It has 384MB and a 600MHz CPU - it's borderline usable with a fully featured desktop.
For better performance, it would go much faster with a "small Linux".
You wouldn't need equivalents of
CC cleaner, Defraggler, Auslogics Reg Defrag and tried Systemcare

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you by any chance got AVG 2011 Link Scanner switched on?, looks like a good idea but it kills old machines
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: kilburncat
I havent re-intalled Windows as I don't have the original disc as it was not supplied by Time Computers (who are no more).

That'll be the problem then. Time went bust years ago... If its really been that long since it last had XP reinstalled then no matter how many suggestions people here make about your anti-virus, junk cleaners, registry cleaners etc nothing will help.
Your registry will be bloated and no cleaner on earth is going to know what it can remove with no effect successfully. If I supplied you with a custom program then how on earth would someone elses registry cleaner know what registry keys my program will need and what can be deleted?
You need to get hold of a XP disk. It's not hard these days, just ask around and I'm sure someone will be able to help. Backup all your files, (including the less obvious ones like outlook express emails, Instant messaging logs etc) and then wipe the drive. Reinstall it all along with the software you need (but not the junk that you've not used for many years) and you'll be away.
Forget the suggestions here about linux... while I agree it's a good OS and is certainly far less resource intensive it's like learning to ride a bike all over again from a PC users POV. It also isn't actually the answer as to what you were asking - more of a 'rub it in' type response.
Get XP reinstalled and you should be ok. I've got an old 733MHz machine sat under the desk at the moment running XP with SP2 installed. Granted its not used for much but it still works well considering its processor is < 1GHz.
Alternatively if you just wanted to hear someone say "Yes, its knackered bin it and get a nice shiny super powerful computer" then I've just said it Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kilburncat
Grafter

Looks like I need a new XP disc  Smiley Can I buy one (and where), or if I borrow someone else's will Microsoft 'detect' that I am using someone else's disc?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: okrzynska
You need to get hold of a XP disk. It's not hard these days, just ask around and I'm sure someone will be able to help. Backup all your files, (including the less obvious ones like outlook express emails,

yes just go ahead and break the law. I am sure that M$ doesn't care.
Forget the suggestions here about linux... while I agree it's a good OS and is certainly far less resource intensive it's like learning to ride a bike all over again from a PC users POV. It also isn't actually the answer as to what you were asking - more of a 'rub it in' type response.

Well depends on what the user wants to do, doesn't it. With a sub 2Ghz processor they will not be running the latest games  Lips_are_sealed
Download a copy of a FREE OS, and give it a try. It doesn't cost anymore than the blank cd to put it on. Then see how FAST your existing PC is.  Cheesy
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

There are several variations of XP install disks, especially when it comes to OEM versions which that may well be.
If you have the wrong type of disk then the code for the PC may not be accepted.
Worth a try though.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Hairy

If you can get hold of the correct type of disk and use the code on the label on the PC you're not breaking the terms of the licence (and certainly not the law).
The PC will presumably be licensed, as the sticker confirms, you just don't have the reinstall media.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Hairy
Quote from: okrzynska
You need to get hold of a XP disk. It's not hard these days, just ask around and I'm sure someone will be able to help. Backup all your files, (including the less obvious ones like outlook express emails,

M$ does not care less what disk you use the relevant question is:
Quote from: jelv
Providing you have the sticker with the product key

If you have the product key it will be a valid, legal install no matter what disks you use.