Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it the router?????

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Is it the router?????

I currently have some line issues I think, see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81744.0.html ; but now I am not too sure whats going on....
I was using a Speedtouch 585V6, but retired this after the LAN side refused to let other PCs see each other on the network.  After asking in these forums, I bought a 2wire 2700HGV from E-Bay, this was advertised as working, and vendor didnt need it anymore. Connected this to my line, and all appeared OK, its using the latest BT firmware. Also at this point BT replaced the dropwire from Pole to house, in an effort to cure BB and PTSN issues. All appeared OK for a couple of weeks, then sync failures started to occur again, culminating in a complete loss of sync 6 days ago, and again on saturday.  Both times, after a few hours of no sync, connected up my speedtouch, and gained sync almost immediately, although yesterday, it did lose it a few times in quick succession, with a few odd syncs (see below). Now had 22hours uptime with this router. with resonable stats.  Now question is, I am not sure if this is all down to a router issue, or a genuine line issue. Bt have been out since the dropwire replacement, but could find no fault, but the line was stable at the time they came out.  Is this just coincidence, or a router issues.
Odd Sync stats
<173> Jan  9 20:03:43 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.5; downstream: 3346 kbit/s,
upstream: 64 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.0 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuatio
n Down: 46.0 dB, Up: 25.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 15.0 dB, Up: 9.0 dB)
Normal sync stats
<173> Jan  9 20:05:37 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.5; downstream: 4304 kbit/s,
upstream: 440 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.0 dBm, Up: 12.5 dBm; line Attenuati
on Down: 44.0 dB, Up: 23.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 15.0 dB, Up: 17.0 dB)
Notice the inc in attenuation on the odd stats.
5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Is it the router?????

I find it strange that you are prepared to devote a lot of time and energy into this problem yet you only use a second-hand router bought on ebay.  Maybe the router is faulty and overheats from time to time causing a loss of sync?  There is no way of telling.
I cannot see anything odd about the stats you present but then the "normal" results are over on some other thread.  Perhaps you should stick to that one? 
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: ReedRichards
I cannot see anything odd about the stats you present but then the "normal" results are over on some other thread.  Perhaps you should stick to that one? 

Dont you think the an upstream sync of 64kbps with a perported margin of 9dB is odd then, together with an attn of 25dB???
Opened another thread, as i was thinking this was a hardware issue, and didnt want to confuse the possible 2 scenarios.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: penfold
...Dont you think the an upstream sync of 64kbps with a perported margin of 9dB is odd then, together with an attn of 25dB???

Yes, I suppose so but I suspect we would all find the occasional freakish result if we paid close attention and it's the downstream sync rate that most people worry about.  I was with a client the other day when he lost both broadband and dial tone for about five minutes.  Some BT engineer fiddling around I suppose: these things happen. 
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks.  I appreciate your comments.  Those odd upstream syncs however happen very frequently, when the line is unstable, and are always coupled with a significant increase in downstream margin, usually around 41dB, but this can rise to over 48dB when line is resyncing all the time.  Maybe you are correct, why am I using older routers??  Retired my trusty speedtouch 585, as the networking part appeared to have failed, and although all PCs could access the net, they could not talk to each other. Got a 2wire one, as they were recommended to me, but the only place I can get one is off E-Bay. Got some message from PlusNet today regards the fault
Thanks for your reply,
I've tried to call you today but you were at work. I'm sorry that BT was unable to identify any fault remotely. BT has a planned engineering work active at the exchange. The work involves upgrading some equipment at the exchange and/or firmware. I'm sorry that you might have some problems getting online whilst the work is being conducted.
[INTERNAL]PEW: This circuit is affected by PEW. The Incident detail is as follows- Incident ID:  PW118532 Start Date: 11/01/2010 02:00:00 DEPLOY 12.2(33)SXH2A/BS WBC-L2C-146B ON PRESTON BEA SNEID 453339:Service  affecting:Total Loss

Does anyine have any ideas what this means.  If I do get a new router what would you recommend for a line with the following stats
ADSL2+
Interleaved
Downstream Attn approx 41-42dB
Current margin 15dB (Has been this since move to ADSL2+!!)
I have heard Billion or Netgears are quite good on longer lines.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

planned engineering work = PEW

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."