cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to watch live football online for free LEGALLY?

rena
Grafter

Is it possible to watch live football online for free LEGALLY?

Can anyone tell me if it is at all possible to watch live football for free online LEGALLY?  If so, can you please tell me the web addresses? I thought you would have to pay for it but a friend assures me it's possible, even though she can't name any sites!!
7 REPLIES 7
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Is it possible to watch live football online for free LEGALLY?

By free legally do you mean TV License? If so you need one for any form of live TV.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

The only requirement on you as a consumer is the need for a TV license.
Wether the company providing the service can legally provide you with the service is another matter, but not one you need to legally concern yourself with.
rena
Grafter

I have a license. I was asking about online live football that's not on terrestrial tv. I know some people have got into trouble for downloading music free and I don't want the same to happen if I watched a football match
pierre_pierre
Grafter

court case this week, A pub was fed up with the high Sky charges £450  and got a decode card for the Greek Sat TV,  She was taken to court as the Footy people had an agreement with Sky
The verdict was - she won, and get it from Greece
http://www.greeklandscapes.com/directory/greece-news/live-tv.html
the court case is here,  you have to click on the cached version

Premier League fears we could all buy TV football from Greece ...
3 Feb 2011 ... But the small core of executives, lawyers and advisers who have masterminded English football's boom in TV revenue were shocked by the ...
www.soccerfilter.com/.../premier-league-fears-we-could-all-buy-tv-football-from-greece/ - Cached
fourfourdevon
Grafter

If you have a licence you can watch live TV period so long as you have not used deception to receive what you are watching.
The case of Sky and pub landlady is related to public showing in a commercial environment of content the broadcaster believed they had the exclusive commercial exploitation rights to and doesn't impact your personal viewing.
Ellis
Grafter

Legality is an interesting point. Many years ago I purchased a VHS cassette player (no tuner), the retailer sent my name and address to the authorities and I received a letter saying that I needed a colour licence (I had a mono licence). I wrote back, tearing them off a strip and telling them that the equipment did not have a tuner, did not need a licence and that they should instruct their agents (the retailer) accordingly. I received a very apologetic letter back from them.
I had had previous experience of something similar when a member of our Computer User Group was taken to court for not having a TV Licence when using a TV (minus tuner) as a monitor. They actually fell into a trap which was set for them. The tuner was removed from the TV and lodged (sealed,signed and dated by witnesses) with a solicitor. When it came out in court they were slated by the Magistrates for not checking that the TV actually contained a tuner. The case was thrown out.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Depends on what channel its on, Trying to get around Sky Sports probably isnt wise...
But if you are away, and have a web-based device but no tv... TVCatchup does BBC / ITV, which is free - as well as other channels for when theres no sport on.
What sort of thing were you thinking of, rena?