Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is all the `tracking` necessary ?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Is all the `tracking` necessary ?

Whoops - I just found one which I was certain I didn't have before.
I don't now - that is another advantage of Firefox it is easy to delete individual cookies
That is odd as it shouldn't accept third party cookies.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

OK a bit of history for WildRose
the following
PlusNet have connections to various 3rd parties
including :
MyBroadbandUseage.co.uk
MyBroadbandSpeed.co.uk
Metronet.co.uk
Madasafish.com
Flickr.com
f9.net.uk
bbc.co.uk
You will see from my sig that I am on Free-Onliine
The origins of PlusNet are that they were originall Force9  i.e F9  and they then started up the blanket company Plusnet, but kept the original off shoot.  My one Free-online was indeed free and dial up, PN got all there money from the phone companies.  That was also kept as a brand name and still is for me although I have long been on broadband and paying
Metronet and Madfasafish are more recent companies that PN manage, as well as some others that came from the John Lewis organization, i.e. Waitrose.   With that they also got the JL call centre in Durban SA. up to then the only call centre thay had was in Sheffield.  You take a choice with the 0845 number, you may get Sheffield or Durban.  If you want Sheffield call 0114 296 5188.
The PN preferred speed tester is Mybroadband which runs the Okla Engine, the server for that is in PN's data switch in London, They also have a direct link to the BBC Web pages to improve the actions of for Instance I Player
WildRose52
Grafter

Hello Pierre,
Now come on lets play fair here - you OMITTED one..... lol    Grin
According to McAfee Site Advisor,
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/plus.net
PlusNet have connections to various 3rd parties
including :
MyBroadbandUseage.co.uk
MyBroadbandSpeed.co.uk
Metronet.co.uk
Madasafish.com
Flickr.com
f9.net.uk
bbc.co.uk
AND :  doubleclick.net

I do very much appreciate you offering me some history about PlusNet.
I had in fact read some online, but more is welcome and you summed it up well.
But, you omitted to explain where  Doubleclick.net fits into the picture.
Of course, you had said previously that  Doubleclick had nothing to do with PN......
but that was BEFORE I found out from McAfee Site Advisor THAT IT DOES.
So, what purpose does doubleclick serve ?   
If you can find that answer to that then perhaps we`ll all know as to why my Security
programme blocks :  http://ad-emea.doubleclick.net/activity;src=143170

Note for Jim.....
Hope you`ve managed to sort out your cookies !
No doubt you heard of that song  `count your blessings`
Well that just changed......
`Count your cookies....  count them one by one`    (lol)  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

reason no comment, I have never seen it on my machine, and its not there now
WildRose52
Grafter

Global Treaty May Make Your ISP Spy On You
New Scientist - February 23rd, 2010
Documents from talks on a secret global copyright deal have leaked online, various sources are reporting. The documents discussed are said to confirm that internet service providers could be compelled to constantly sift through their customers' data looking for copyright transgressions. The European Union's data protection chief has said that such requirements could curtail individuals' civil liberties.

It's the latest twist in the tale of ACTA, the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, which has been swiftly and secretly negotiated by the 27 nations of the European Union, the US, Australia, Canada, Mexico, New Zealand, South Korea, Singapore, Jordan, Morocco and the United Arab Emirates.
The leak, detailed by PC World magazine, covers ACTA's "enforcement procedures in the digital environment". The draft being circulated says that ISPs operating in nations that have signed up to ACTA would be forced to operate "automatic technical processes" to detect copyright-infringing activities.

more :  http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2010/02/online-copyright-clampdown-con.html

We dont have to be paranoid to believe - they are determined to track us  Grin
itsme
Grafter

I have no problem with this.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: WildRose52
Quote from: pierre_pierre
try flying on an airline now days without some from of photo identity,    or getting hospital treatment without a number

Oh I dont know lol, would need to ask that U.S. Attorney, Kurt Haskell & his wife   who saw the xmas day Detroit bomber
get aboard that airplane without a passport. 
No kidding, you can listen the interview with him for yourself. http://www.trunews.com/listen_now.htm Scroll down the list to 4th January 2010
If it werent so ridiculous then it might even be funny. If people only knew what was going on.    Sad that they dont.

thought you might be interested in this 
DOCUMENTARY: How Safe are Our Skies?
On: BBC 2 East (2)    Date: Thursday 4th March 2010 Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long)

Detroit Flight 253.

On Christmas Day 2009, as Northwest Airlines Flight 253 began its descent towards Detroit Metropolitan airport, a 23-year-old attempted to detonate 80 grams of military-grade explosive PETN, a deadly bomb designed to take the plane out of the sky. With eyewitness testimony and expert analysis, this documentary examines how alleged bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab slipped under the US intelligence radar and evaded three sets of airport security. Following the attack, how safe is it to fly?
(Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
WildRose52
Grafter

user deleted
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jim:post I have moved this thread to Web and Internet as it is clearly no longer a Rant or Rave mod:end
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: WildRose52
I`m sure ppl must think I`m paranoid, but........

Not the word I'd have selected...
Personally I find objectivity a more likeable trait - that is, the ability to listen to various viewpoints before coming to a decision - rather than deciding that a single viewpoint is the correct one, and arguing such no matter what others might like to discuss.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you mean this?
Hi Pierre,
Thanks, but no thanks its from the BBC lol.
I`ll stick with Kurt Haskells version of events - the guy had no passport.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

did the OP miss this
With eyewitness testimony and expert analysis, this documentary examines how alleged bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab slipped under the US intelligence radar and evaded three sets of airport security. Following the attack, how safe is it to fly?
WildRose52
Grafter

user deleted
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but how can you just say Oh thats the BBC, why not watch it and then make up your mind, it might have a lot more information than just that one mans view, I repeat as have others you seem to wear blinkers
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I know that you've moved this once 'OldJim', but the content is now drivelling on and really should be in 'General Chit Chat'? [Personal Opinion]
At least then I can elect to logically avoid it. Grin
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.