cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a software firewall needed?

artificer
Grafter

Re: Is a software firewall needed?

when i was running windows, even with spybot search & destroy, adaware, spywareblaster, avg and zone alarm, an occasional attack would still get through.  on dialup, updating those five packages alone ate up most of my online time.
shortly after getting broadband, i met and married linux.  in the nearly four years of using pclinuxos, i have experienced not one single attack and have even, inadvertently, been online as root once or twice.
i now use windows for looking out onto the world and linux for all my computing needs.
notheruser
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Second point, the Bill Gates firewall only protects against incomming problems, it doesnt stop rogue programs (Or one that came of MAgs) from accessing the internet, or send out numerous e-mails without you knowing, a "Good" firewall does
The primary purpose of any pesonal firewall is to protect the host system. If you've got something on your PC capable of sending out numerous e-mails, your security has already been compromised. (How did the rogue program get there in the first place? If your anti-virus software didn't stop it, and it's capable of running as an executable, then if the logged on user has admin priveleges, it can also switch off any of your other defences). With regard to attacks against the host which use outbound connections - the vast majority of these depend on being able to open a connection back in, and Windows Firewall will prevent this. (Read the information in the Help file).
It may not be as sophisticated as many commercial firewalls, but that does not make it "rubbish".
In the context of the OP's question, yes, it is worth having, and it will offer a reasonable level of defence against most common forms of attack. And yes, it should be enabled as well as having the NAT/firewall defence of the router.
Quote from: axisofevil
Why would you allow a rogue program to be installed in the first place?

You wouldn't - but you may be the victim of a zero-day attack, in which case rogue code can be executed - but as I said, such attacks generally depend on being able to open a reverse connection.
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

As the OP I decided to take a step back from the discussion as I seemed to have started more here than I anticipated, but I have watched with interest as the opposing arguments raged.
The decision made was to purchase and install Kaspersky Anti-Virus and to activate the Windows XP firewall. To date I am quite happy with this arrangement.
As mentioned originally, Kaspersky AV does have features which compensate for the Windows firewall's deficiencies, it monitors all web access, e-mails received and sent, "...scans files on hard and removable drives at the moment they are accessed ... to prevent infection even if a virus has already penetrated your computer" and a Proactive Defence which " shields you from unknown threats, monitors startup of selected programs and guards access to the system registry."
It all sounds very reassuring, I just hope it doesn't end up in  :'(.
Cliff
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no Should be OK, A lot of comparative surveys back up your choice, but personally I have the free Zone Alarm, so no real axe to grind