cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a combined fibre (to cabinet) modem router allowed?

FIXED
ci1
Hooked

Is a combined fibre (to cabinet) modem router allowed?

I have fibre to cabinet connected to a BT openreach modem (supplied by PN) that is connected to my own router (which has no modem).

It seems it may be time to replace my router. Is it possible/allowed to replace it with a combined modem router to replace both boxes?

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Is a combined fibre (to cabinet) modem router allowed?

Fix

@ci1 

In a word yes the world has moved on and few people use this two box system any more. If you have recently taken a new contract with Plusnet they will probably give you a Hub One, which is a combined unit.

If you want a better budget device then go onto an auction site such as Ebay and get a BT Smarthub 6. Setting instructions are here. 

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ci1
Hooked

@Baldrick1 thanks for the response.

Yes, I have had the openreach modem for a while, supplied by PN some years ago.

It is very confusing trying to find the correct equipment.  Many purely router devices are called modems; and some 'so called' vdsl/adsl combi devices seem to have no modem.

One 'top ten combination modem/router' article had several devices where a listed con was 'no modem'!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@ci1 

I agree that it's very confusing. This is compounded by people, including Plusnet often referring to modem/routers as routers. There are regularly people coming to this forum having bought a router without realising the need for a modem. All that you can do is read the specs. 

Every one has their own favourite device so if you ask for a recommendation then you will get nearly as many options as responses, it all depends on your needs and budget.

One thing that you definitely shouldn't do is buy one from Plusnet. They charge a fortune for an obsolete and rebadged BTHome Hub 5A with all sorts of wireless issues.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Most modem/routers are sold on their claimed stunning wifi performance - so if you don't need fantastic wifi they are a very expensive option.

I never had a problem with a separate modem + router - it was very reliable until a BT engineer told me my 6 year old modem had been withdrawn on safety grounds.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ci1
Hooked

Trust it was not the plusnet 582n I have; otherwise I guess PN would have a legal obligation to replace it – depending on why BT consider it unsafe.

Modem and separate router is not an issue and has some advantages, but buying one box (as a replacement) for not much more seems to also make sense. (Plus a cheap switch for sharing a 1Gbit ethernet connection – or running several wires from the combined modem/router.)