Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Windows Better Than Linux?

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Why Windows Is Better Than Linux

Quote from: ReedRichards
Whether or not Linux is better, Windows continues to win by weight of numbers.

At the moment, though they are loosing sales to MAC's and Linux machines, Ubuntu claims 20 MILLION users - not a number to be sneezed at, though a drop in the ocean on all users. But if you offer someone in China (for instance) a ripped off copy of a M$ OS or a totally FREE one which will they choose?
I find it interesting that M$ are making all this noise about Linux, what are they scared of? I would have thought they had more to be scared of  with Apple/Google ? (Esp since you can run OSX on an "normal" PC - not that I have or condone such a thing  ;))
And given Android/Google OS coming later this year ... more will be shipped with this "Instant on" system - why wait (1min-10min) for Win to load when you can be on the net in 20 sec? (and I am not talking about resume, a normal boot)
As to virus' a lot of the damage comes from script kiddies who exploit holes in the system using tools generated by others. Malware exploits that grab financial details are rife if you still use IE 6 - which apparent;y a lot of people do?? Crazy
I also find it "Interesting" that Google is now only allowing new employees to choose Linux or OSX systems - NO M$ allowed there  Grin - Stating security issues for the change.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I installed a .exe file on W7 using a "wizzard"
It took a chunk of disk and installed Ubuntu. Cheesy
I've now got a dual boot Ubuntu/W7 PC
So Ubuntu runs on an ordinary PC Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

scootie
Grafter

also find it "Interesting" that Google is now only allowing new employees to choose Linux or OSX systems - NO M$ allowed there  Grin - Stating security issues for the change.

so the hackers will now have a big reason to find back doors in the Linux system if the big boy Google will only use Linux or Unix
Denzil
Grafter

The security of Linux is not just about the volume of users, although I'm sure if loads more people used it then more virus writers would be tempted to have a go. It still comes down to what I said in reply to point 2
nothing can get installed or interfere with system files without a password

The user has to type an administrator password to install anything, there is no way round that. Nothing can install itself behind your back.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well security comes down to common sense aswell which im sure we are all aware of, Linux may be safe from  viruses etc but for how long?
As for windows being secure well i say windows 7 is pretty secure and those antivirus programmes nowadays are becoming smarter and more intelligent to keep your windows safe.And dont forget that windows is targeted with viruses etc because its the most used operating system.
Will you still use linux when the time comes that you need AV with it? ( when and if it becomes the most used)
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Hairy
4, Not true, To what extent are you talking here?
It is true, Ask shutter, He has needed help with linux, So have I and so have you, Where did you ask for the help? on this forum. Now take a look in the windows forum here, Ive hardly needed any help with it what so ever and im using the new windows 7 from XP.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Steve
As for windows being secure well i say windows 7 is pretty secure...

Can't be very secure otherwise you wouldn't need all those 3rd-party add-ons to block the viruses.
Why doesn't W7 block the viruses by virtue of it's design?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Asking for help for something you have never done before doesn't make the OS you are using harder or easier to use.
As to you not needing help using W7 well have you tried doing something different on it, or are you still doing the same things you did on XP?
I don't normally have to modify avi files (my last Q on here) so asked if anybody knew how to. In the end I found out by goggling and using a suggestion here., and all I had to do to install the programs I needed was to visit the software installer no visiting/downloading dodgey files.
WRT Shutters help well he is trying to run alien (i.e. non native) programs on Linux.
WRT when/IF Linux needs Anti-Virus programs - cant see it happening, the back end is too secure - you were complaining about having to enter a password to install a program !
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Linux boxes must be full of viruses and malware aswell though just that they dont know it and the code cant run( seemingly ) Linux is not user friendly you must agree with that not taking into account your knowledge of what you have learnt?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Now that is just lame. Full of virus' why?
I have Bit-defender AV installed (On demand not all the time) for when I need to check a M$ program for someone else. It has NEVER found any virus or malware on my Linux box that is not enclosed in a M$ wrapper (.exe etc)
Not applicable

The point made earlier about whether Linux users would continue with the system if it was not as secure as it is now is an interesting one.
I am pretty sure that most people use Linux for just this reason - me included.

I too am pretty smug about my Windows systems - not had malware for years but even though I am careful the threat is always there.
You are happily surfing and hit a website that wants to install something on your computer - click here it says and so many people click, particularly
children.  It happened to me a few months ago - only looking for the weather forecast, long range.  Fortunately, I didn't click and all was OK.
Only yesterday I got this VMN toolbar installed on my computer and I did nothing - it just landed there - no UAC  or any warming.
Had to get rid of it with Revo in thorough mode but needed to do it twice as first time it didn't shift it. I know it wasn't technically spyware but I don't want anything on my
machine that I haven't installed myself.  The whole thing has made me uncertain and less confident about Windows 7, particularly as I am a bit paranoid about security.
I can't use a Windows machine with as much confidence as I do when I am using Linux.  
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Hairy
Now that is just lame. Full of virus' why?
Why is it lame? Your surfing the web just like everyone else correct?
@poppy did that toolbar come with something you installed? you got to watch for that as its happening a lot now, Any programme you want comes with do you want this? and would you like that? Its annoying!!
artificer
Grafter

steve, of course you will condemn linux while you are frustrated because you have not yet learned enough to feel competent in its usage.  it's a familiar story.  it's why people are encouraged to dual boot with windows so that they have a 'safety blanket' they know they can return to to do the work that must be done.  it takes six months to a year, depending upon how much time a user can devote to learning linux, for windows to become redundant.  during that time, the forum is there to help hold the user's hand through the tricky bits.
linux users need to be aware of rootkits.  that's all.  no other malware will work properly because linux does not use that quaint system, the registry.  once an app is dug in there, it's a nightmare to get rid of; norton anyone?  users will never have to worry about viruses in linux because they can't propogate.  browser malware is more problematic and it's probable that any user can be prey to social engineering.
the extra layer required to get to root also protects the linux user.  why else did microsoft belatedly introduce an extra layer of protection?  
give yourself time to learn.  find some bits that you do enjoy and build on those.  play a game from time to time cheer yourself.  join a forum that helps by holding your hand as much as is possible over the air.  linux can be a heck of a lot of fun; seek out the fun bits.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Whys is it lame? Well the idea that "My PC is full of virii so yours must be as well" doesn't work. I have NEVER had a virus on my Linux box in the 3 years I have been using it. Can you say the same about yours (Without haveing a background scanner running, and you removing them ?)
Not applicable

No Steve, it did not come with a programme - I am careful about that as so many try to foist things on to you that is not required or needed.
It came when I was opening some gif (smiley) images that were given to me and which were associated with Internet Explorer (my default browser is FF). I have changed their association and now they are OK.  The system has been scanned regularly with Kaspersky and the folder has been on my hard drive for some time - it has not been reported as suspect.
Artificer has made a very pertinent post  which really has summed up the discussion well IMO.
I have been tinkering with Linux for quite a while now and learned a lot but I need to try and use it more and Windows less to be fully comfortable with it.  I find the Linux community very helpful indeed, including the nice chaps at my local Linux User Group which I attend from time to time.