cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Windows Better Than Linux?

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Is Windows Better Than Linux?

Here is why  I think Windows is better than Linux. (1) Installing programs is easy with windows because there is a standard. Try installing VLC and you'll see what I mean. (2) Anytime you try to install or change something on your own computer you have to type a password. And god forbid you run the program in root, then you get every warning that exists. (3) Installing anything good in Linux requires an entire weekend ending up in learning how to reinvent the wheel. (4) To truly use any Linux distribution your going to have to either take classes in how Linux works or spend time reading a lot of books and forums.
My love for linux has turned to hate.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
58 REPLIES 58
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Why Windows Is Better Than Linux

Err, I suppose somebody has to bite Grin
1. Open Package Manager, type "vlc" in the search box, tick "Mark for installation", click "Apply". Why is that hard?
2. UAC does the same thing. Anyway, that is one of the reasons Linux is more secure - nothing can get installed or interfere with system files without a password. When you leave your house, do you complain about the time it takes to lock the door?
3. See 1. OK, sometimes you have to add a repository, but that's not that hard. And you sometimes find applications that haven't been packaged for your distribution, but they are usually the more obscure ones.
4. Windows takes quite a lot of learning as well. I use W7 at work and Linux Mint at home, and W7 needs a lot more fiddling to keep it going nicely.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Denzil
4. Windows takes quite a lot of learning as well. I use W7 at work and Linux Mint at home, and W7 needs a lot more fiddling to keep it going nicely.
Really? See i find it the complete opposite Grin
Take the big ugly Plymouth for example, Thats some serious coding to a casual user like myself to get it working correctly.
Not applicable

Well, I will have the second bite and endorse what Denzil has said.
There's nothing hard about adding stuff from the repository.  Also, password request is no more hassle than UAC which dismally failed me today when it happily allowed the installation of an unasked-for toolbar.
Although I like W7 I am wondering if I could use Linux the majority of the time. There is much about it that is easier and more simple than Windows.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well im missing something, Big time Grin
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Maybe Linux has too many options/ways of doing things for you?
If I wanted to install vlc, I could :-
in the menu type in vlc and choose install package (Linux Mint)
Open Synaptic and search for vlc and double click it to install it
open a terminal and type in apt install vlc (Linux Mint)
download a .deb package and run it.
So just a sample of the ways of doing it in Linux. maybe too many for you to handle? Shocked
Santiago
Grafter

Here is why Windows is better for Microsoft than Linux.
You have to pay £££££££££ for Windows (typically)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Hairy
maybe too many for you to handle? Shocked

Well obviously, most people probably don't even understand the concept of "installing" software, let alone that there are multiple ways to do it.
(not that Windows is immune from such fripperies of course, but I'm criticising your judgement not the "competing" OS's  Grin )
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Great no 1 has been solved, What about the rest? Too many for you to handle?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How does Windows issue new releases/bug fixes of programs that I install, on a timely basis?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

I don't think that it is a case of Windows being better than Linux or vice-versa.  Good and bad sides to both.
It's a personal choice. 
For me it boils down to this:
I like Windows because it is familiar, ubiquitous and works well. 
Linux is good because of its security and simplicity. Also, as it is free I can install it as many times as I want - total freedom instead of having to deal with WGA and then kow-towing to MS when you have reinstalled once too often.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You wanted an answer for everything  Grin
OK
1, I have answered above
2, This is what is known as SECURITY. Even Windows has it calling it UAC. Running a program as root (one that does not need heightened access) then it will warn you that you now have the ability to destroy your installation - this is a bad thing?
3.See 1
4, Not true, To what extent are you talking here? To run as a server? Well the same is true of M$ on the server side. To use as a normal desktop on a normal pc (I am not taking about wireless on laptops) OOB you have Internet/Email/Office/graphic editing functionality, You also get this booting from a cd or usb stick.
You missed:
5. You get more FREE virii with M$  Cheesy How many virus' exist for M$ now millions? - Linux has ONE virus that YOU have to give your password to allow it to install.
6. You REQUIRE a firewall before you connect to the net - viscous circle as you need to get on the net to download one - Put an XP machine on the net and it will be infected in MINUTES - Put a Linux machine on and it will still be working years later.
7. You get to keep Bill & co in Rollex's & fast cars
scootie
Grafter

5. You get more FREE virii with M$  Cheesy How many virus' exist for M$ now millions? - Linux has ONE virus that YOU have to give your password to allow it to install.
6. You REQUIRE a firewall before you connect to the net - viscous circle as you need to get on the net to download one - Put an XP machine on the net and it will be infected in MINUTES - Put a Linux machine on and it will still be working years later.

and if you want those linux's machines to keep up with this no viruses here attitude you are best keep Linux as a niche thing as if you convert the masses to use this as there main os for buying things on the net then Linux to will suffer just as M$'s os's do.
is it really that linux is a more secure os or just the above reason?.
i use both os's now but one main reason for running ubuntu is the secureness  when buying stuff online and also i like to put my kids on Linux and windows to get them use to both systems so they can be swats at high school.
When all there friends can do is click away in W7 (w10) hopefully using Linux they will be forced to see what runs under all the GUI and be able to program stuff  Wink dont care if they become hackers just as long as they know more about pc's and os's then the rest of there age group i will be happy they have the best start in the techno world we now live in
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

and if you want those linux's machines to keep up with this no viruses here attitude you are best keep Linux as a niche thing as if you convert the masses to use this as there main os for buying things on the net then Linux to will suffer just as M$'s os's do.
is it really that linux is a more secure os or just the above reason?.

Yes, I think that is the biggest problem with linux.... it is not popular, because it is so "geeky"  which allows itself to be "more secure" than windows..... Make Linux less geeky, and the geeks then try to destroy it ! ...
What is it with those geeks that write and send out viurses?  why do they do it? what is the point?  if they destroy the windows system. then they will have nothing to do....  Roll_eyes
dick:green Quote tag fixed.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: shutter

What is it with those geeks that write and send out viurses?  why do they do it? what is the point? 

MONEY!!!
The days when geeks wrote viruses to demonstrate their prowess are long gone.  Today it is all about stealing your bank account passwords, creating a 'bot net' of hijacked computers for sale, scaring you into buying fake security software etc.
Is anyone old enough to remember Betamax, the alternative format to VHS for video cassette recorders?  It was generally agreed that Betamax was "better" but VHS won through sheer weight of numbers.  Whether or not Linux is better, Windows continues to win by weight of numbers.