cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Microsoft messing me about?

Roberto0151
Grafter

Is Microsoft messing me about?

This is the text of a query I put to the Microsoft  community forum a couple of days ago. So far I've had no  response.                           
Quote    Since july 28 Windows Defender has been downloading definition updates (and failing) even though my 8.1 system is protected by Avast AV.    WD has not done this previously.
Coincidentally from July 28 to August 4th  I was getting failed "upgrades" to Windows10 even though I am not involved with Insider.
I am really wondering whether I ought to be worried by all this or whether, if I just ignore it, it will all sort itself out in due course when I get the OK to install Win 10.  Unquote.
It seems to me that MS thinks I have been involved with the Insider programme, though in fact I have not.
Although I am no longer getting failed attempts to install Win10 I am still getting several tries a day to
download and install windows defender updates. Although all this has more than used up my monthly download allowance,
the reasonable cost is not of any real concern but I do fear the possibility of loosing the free access to Win 10.
Has anyone any thoughts on this please?

5 REPLIES 5
anniesboy
Rising Star

Re: Is Microsoft messing me about?

I also had many failed Windows 10 upgrades, I contacted microsoft technical support.
They did resolve the problem, I did agree to them remotely taking control of my PC.
It did take them ten to fifteen minutes to sort it
steveuk
Grafter

The windows insider program has nothing to do with you being offered windows 10.
All pc's and laptops that are eligible for a free upgrade will automatically be offered windows 10.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Roberto0151
Since july 28 Windows Defender has been downloading definition updates (and failing) even though my 8.1 system is protected by Avast AV.

Avast should have suppressed Windows Defender and stopped it from running or updating.  As that hasn't happened, maybe Avast is not working properly?  I would try re-installing it.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

All pc's and laptops that are eligable for a free upgrade will automatically be offered windows 10.

Even after you have installed it... and reverted back to previous o.s. you still get "nagged" that it your computer is eligble..... and there doesn`t seem to be a way of disabling that...
Roberto0151
Grafter

Thanks for the comments
@ ReedRichards.  Although Windows Defender was downloading it failed to install, so perhaps Avast was in fact doing its job.
I've now altered the set up so that updates are  offered to me without prior action so that I can "hide" the WD updates.
Seems to work so far but I do get the occasional nudge to update !
P.S. Avast has just updated itself to  new version. Perhaps this might have some effect?