Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 500W enough?

StickyMick
Grafter

Re: Is 500W enough?

Quote from: jmart
Angry That was a total bust!  Angry
Same problem with both PSUs. Reckon it's RMA time.

What was the spec of the second PSU?
Let us know how the RMA goes.
jmart
Grafter

2nd PSU came from a system running another foxconn board of similar spec, although it was only 300W.
I'll keep you up to date, hopefully be good news from here on in.
StickyMick
Grafter

Just because it was running in another PC doesn't mean it would have enough juice to run yours, besides you went from 500w down to 300w. I doubt the 300 would have had enough on the +12 rail. I wouldn't be surprised if your motherboard did the same as mine, bounced back with a clean bill of health.
Have a glimp at this guys article, and pay particular attention to what he says about +12v rails: http://compreviews.about.com/od/cases/a/PSUWattage.htm.
jmart
Grafter

Well, guess what, apparently it works fine. I've asked about the test PSU and it's 350W with 16A on the +12V.
Guess it's faulty PSUs at my end. Angry
StickyMick
Grafter

Had a feeling it would. Looks like you're in the market for a new PSU then, like me.
I'm going for the best that I can afford that's got at least 30A on that 12v rail and 6 molex power connectors, so I've got a dedicated supply solely for my video card.
You can't get a too powerful PSU because the system will only use as much as it needs.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I was running my system (Athlon 64 x2, ATI 3870 Graphics, ASUS M2N SLI, DVD +-RW, 5 internal and 3 external (own power supply) HDDs on a cheap 550W PSU. In general all worked OK except that I had several HDDs fail over an 18 month period. Couldn't fathom out why until the MB failed taking with it a graphics card.
I got my local friendly dealer to check things out for me and it appeared that the PSU had several problems;
Mainly, the power output was nowhere near the rated output and there was a loose (burnt) connection which could have been the cause of the hard drive failures.
I have now got an expensive 700W PSU and haven't looked back since.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: okrzynska
Camera flash circuits... now they're fun if you want to learn to fly Tongue Last time I hit one of those I tele ported 2 feet backwards and landed in the wall  Cheesy Grin Wink

Yep, a friend of mine realised that taking one of those disposable cameras apart was not a good idea Tongue
StickyMick
Grafter

@ Mav: Yeah, mine worked for months on a 450w PSU with 1x HD & a zip drive on 1 IDE channel, 2x Opticals on the other and 2 more IDE HDs on the RAID configured as IDE and an nVidia 6600GT, before it blew.