Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 10.10 a final release?

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Is 10.10 a final release?

Just wondering, I see 10.10 is about now. I'm not sure how it works with Ubuntu releases, I thought that 10.04 LTS would mean that 10.04 was going to be the final version for three years with just patches and updates.
Is 10.10 now the stable version?  Doesn't seem that long since 10.04 came out. Then again I left it for a while before upgrading form 9.10 to keep them time to sore out any teething problems.
8 REPLIES 8
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Is 10.10 a final release?

Right you have 10.04.01 LTS Which Is a long term OS, Supported for 3 YRS, But Ubuntu also brings out releases every 6 month, 10.10 Maverick Meerkat being the most recent, You got a choice to stay put with the LTS ( 10.04.01 ) Or using a new release every six month, Maverick being the newer OS, The choice as the say Is yours Wink
Hope that cleared that up for you. Wink
Edit, One LTS OS every 3 YRS, Current Is 10.04.01, Or 6 month releases, Current 10.10 Maverick Meerkat.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

10.04 is a LTS (Long Term Stable) release - you can wait until 12.04 before upgrading if you want - indeed it's supported until at least April 2013.
10.10 is a stable release, but there is no need to upgrade to it - indeed you won't notice a big difference if you do!
11.04 will be along in April...
then 11.10...
There is no final release.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Ok I sort of get that. It just seems to be a peculiar way of doing it. Looking at the wiki link 10.04 and 10.04.01are LTS but 10.10 isn't  Huh plus 10.10 is only supported to 2012 but 10.04 is supported to 2013 even though 10.10 is in effect only really a slight adaptation of 10.04. Why is 10.10 not classed as a LTS version?
you can wait until 12.04 before upgrading if you want

Why this version before changing, is it because it will be a totally new re-work of the OS rather than just a variation on the theme so to speak?
Seems a bit counter intuitive that. What is the point of bringing out these mid term versions? I suppose in windows it's a bit like service packs I guess.
Would it not be easier all round for the Devs and end users if they just called it version 10 until it's totally re-worked?
I have said this before but it's worth mentioning again  Smiley It seems that the biggest issue Linux users have is with software/hardware devs not supporting their chosen OS but then make it increasingly difficult for them to do that. With all the different flavours and versions.
I hope some day they all get together and pick the best bits from all Linux based operating systems and make something called Linux 1, there you are solved it  Grin Would be nice though and encourage more people over. I'll bet there's loads of people been put off when first dabbling with Linux based systems by the fact of not being sure which one to try.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

The 6 month ones have support for 18 month's, The Idea Is they work away doing this and In doing so by the time the next LTS Is ready to be done they can make a very stable version with what they have learned, Hope It makes sense, It does not to me LOL.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

AHH I see  Shocked right so The LTS is the main version which comes out when they know it's a good one. The intermediary versions like the 10.10 etc will come out in the mean time to allow people to use them on lots of different machines and find the bugs before they eventually turn into the next LTS version.
So these versions are guinea pigs which eventually will turn into a LTS if every thing goes right. Yes? So if stability and least problems are your thing then it's best to just use LTS versions.
So if a new feature seems to work ok in intermediate versions do these get added in to the LTS version through updates or do they wait until the next LTS is out? I take it then version 12 is the next scheduled LTS.
Or have I totally missed the point  Grin
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Got It In one!! ( I think )  Grin
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Grin That will do for me, I'm taking the risk of getting even more confused if I go much deeper. Seems a bit like beta testing but rather than asking people to beta test the next LTS it's just there if you want it. They probably get more people to test it out on a better spectrum of systems that way.
I've just been looking at the release notes for 10.10 there are a couple of things, for instance evolution being updated to a newer version 2.30 because it runs faster and gwibber changing the way it authenticates twitter accounts because twitter has changed how they do it. Surely these will be added to 10.04 before the next LTS even if just to make it function properly.
Would seem mad not to add these small changes in the mean time when the next LTS in 18 month away.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I once saw a very apt description of the Ubuntu Release schedule
LTS - Well proven stable release
LTS + 1 - Modifications that didn't make it into the LTS  ( bit buggy!)
LTS + 2 - Not quite so many new things plus bug fixes from LTS + 1 (reasonably stable!)
LTS - 1 - Pack all the new things in before the next LTS - (pretty buggy!)
LTS -  No more new things, just fix all the bugs that were introduced in LTS - 1 (stable again!)
... repeat every two years...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.