Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irfanview in Mint 15

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Irfanview in Mint 15

Deleted...... copied mfc42.dll to download folder and it sorted itself out !  Cheesy
10 REPLIES 10
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Irfanview in Mint 15

You and your M$ programs  Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran

The thing about "my" M$ programs is, that they are the one`s I have been using for years and years, and I know that I can do "such and such" with  X prog and other things with other progs, so easily, like second nature... so it stands to reason that learning other " similar " linux progs that may not have all the features ( and most don`t , meaning using two or three progs to do the one session )...
And... If I CAN get them running under WINE in Linux... so much the better... and don`t see any "crime" in doing that...
HairyMcbiker
All Star

No one said it was a crime, just as they say in Hawick "Its Aye Been" meaning we have been doing it this way for donkeys years why should we change now.
You are trying out Linux why not try some alternative programs as well?
However if they run then it will make the transition easier.
shutter
Community Veteran

I used the term "crime" loosely !... Roll_eyes  as the general inference from Linux users is that programs written by individuals or companys that work on Windows platforms are not welcome.... especially when the programs that work well on Windows platforms have no workable equivalent in the Linux stable.... typical of this situation is my other thread about video file conversion program... Any Video Converter.... the main response to the request for a similar program has no similarity whatsoever, and as HB has said I must write my own little bit of the program to be able to use it in a strictly limited form... AVC will convert to just about any file type, and just about any mobile phone type without any further input from the person using it, save for them to actually choose the file type they want it converted to.
The generic term "microsoft programs".. is a fallacy , as they are not written BY microsoft.... they are written by individuals and companies, to work on the Windows platform.... and to do it with ease of operation by the user.  ..... download it.... install it.... use it.... unlike the Linux way of doing things...
I am trying to get to terms with using Linux, as I think there are possibilities, and with the use of the WINE program, I have managed to get quite a few of my favourite programs working.. odd things that Linux does will take some getting used to, in the same way as getting used to Windows did to begin with... so.. ease up on the backstabbing between Linux and Microsoft... or Linux and Windows to be more precise.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The preset you are adding to Arista is hardly a need to
write my own little bit of the program to be able to use it in a strictly limited form

Once you have created the preset, a matter of a few mouse clicks, then it will be in the list for the next time.
ease up on the backstabbing between Linux and Microsoft... or Linux and Windows to be more precise.

It is not a matter of backstabbing as you put it, but the fact that the majority of Linux users now no longer use any programs for M$, you are asking for help and we are TRYING to help but we don't use the programs you want to run, so suggest alternatives but you are like an ostrich, you don't want to use something different, even though you are no longer using Win.
The simple fact is that unless one of us uses the particular program you want to use, we can only provide help on the OS not the running of that program.
I suggest you visit http://winehq.org and look there to see if your programs will work and what workarounds are necessary (like the mfc.dll etc).
I myself use a small selection of win programs, Newbin/quickpar/civ V and that is it.
shutter
Community Veteran

No, Not really an "ostrich" .... if the Linux " equivalent " or whatever you call it, was really that, and you did not need to run three different programs to achieve the same result as the Windows version, then I would  ( and do ) use the Linux alternatives...
Point taken, the majority of people using Linux, use only Linux programs, and therefore my requests for assistance need to be spread far and wide (wider than this forum)... but that is my nature... I like to take the easy route.... ( see the above line ! )...
I do appreciate all the help I have been given to get my Linux Mint to work, and the Windows progs too, ... so, once again... to all who have assisted.... "Thank you"...
P.S. Just joined the Wine HQ forum. Wink
Pedro
Grafter

Hi,
Don't know what you use irfanview for but have a look at XnView they have a native Linux version, albeit a beta one.
I use the 64bit version and it's great. Also a long time user of the windows version.
Good luck.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

That looks good, might do what shutter wants.
But it probably uses different hot keys  Wink
EDIT: just had a quick play with it, looks like it might become my default viewer/editor. For all that I usually need to do it will suffice, easier than using gimp as well.
shutter
Community Veteran

XNVIEW..... just downloaded and installed it..... not bad.... couple of things wrong with it..... firstly the "preview" screens are so small, they are almost unviewable, certainly would make a lot of the work that I do with Irfanview, impossible... (I do highlight several areas on one pic and do various processes on the same pic which would be impossible to do on XNVIEW...
the other thing I do is to add (C) info and other text on the copy of the pic, which XNVIEW does not do....therefore would have to resort to another program to do that....  Not been playing with it long, so probably a few other little odd jobs that I do are missing too...
Irfanview is working fine for me, and will still be my number one for working on pics.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The preview can be resized, you can remove the xif info and it will use the whole lower panel.
You can add a batch convert and a mask or a watermark to add (c) info, just from my few mins playing with it.