cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone crashing Thompson Router

FIXED
Rmackenzie

Iphone crashing Thompson Router

Iphone 6 with iOS 11.2.1 continually crashes the Thompson TG585 v8 with the firmware 8.2.7.8, which I believe is the latest. Anyone else seeing this?
9 REPLIES 9
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Iphone crashing Thompson Router

It shouldn't really be the phone as all devices should use the same protocols which means using the same structure for the data packets irrespective of the OS or hardware vendor.

It might be that you have a duff router that for whatever reason just gets narky when its your device in use. You say the iphone crashes it but what are you doing when this happens? - connecting to wifi, getting an ip address, logging into the admin panel or just looking at a web page?

We had to send back a hub one recently that had been quirky for a while. Turned out to be a hardware fault the last i heard of it and this was causing the rooter to reboot every time i clicked one specific link in the admin panel of the device. Point being that duff routers with odd quirks do get sent out every now and then.

You really need to give more details (as asked above) for us to work out whats going on with your devices.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Fix

I wonder if this still applies to the latest firmware?

Rmackenzie

I agree, it shouldn't be the iphone but it is. Use of any other device is fine, start using the iphone, and within a few minutes the router reboots. There doesn't appear to be any particular app that causes it, so it is the device rather than an app. There are threads on apple support that are discussing the same thing with the introduction of the iPhone 7 and it has to do with the mac address spoofing protection. We've had the router for years, 6+ probably, and the same device on previous OS versions have been fine. The phone when locked doesn't appear to have an ip address on the admin panel but is displaying the wi-fi icon. The admin panel runs way too slow to work out if its when the iphone gets an address, if you refresh the list of connected devices at the same time as the iphone is unlocked and started to be used the router will crash befire the list is refreshed, 3-4 minutes. The "solution" offered on the Apple threads is a new router or update the firmware. Over here with better choice than some markets we might as well move ISP and get a freebie router.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

6 years is a long time for a router. It has done well.

Yes I would consider changing it by now. There are plenty of PlusNet Hub Ones on EBay for not much cost and BT Homehubs which will work with PlusNet. There are people on here which use them and we can help you in setting it up.

If you're happy with the overall connection, aside from this issue, then changing ISP is a bit extreme. I doubt it'll be free as you'll be locked into a contract.

Me personally, for what they cost nowadays I would get a cheapo replacement and avoid any contracts.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

@Rmackenzie did you try the workaround in my link?

Rmackenzie

Thanks Browni for the suggestion. I've applied the work around and enabled only 802 b/g and things look.... favourable. No crash in 10 minutes of use which I think is a record for the last few days! :) I've also jumped on eBay and ordered a Hub One, for the 25 quid it seems like a worthwhile update but fingers crossed for the config update! I shall run it for a little while longer and will mark "Fixed my problem" as appropriate.
Browni
Aspiring Hero

Fingers crossed!
Rmackenzie

Router has stayed up for 24 hours now so the config amendment works on this version of the router and firmware. Thanks for the original note Browni!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Fix reassigned to Browni as per this post.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine