Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone and DG834GT

daskinner
Grafter

Iphone and DG834GT

Hi,
I've changed my router from the standard PN Thompson to my old netgear DG384GT as it gives out a better wireless signal.. I'm havig a few problems connecting my wifes iphone. I can get it to connect if i reboot the router but once she leaves the house and comes back it wont connect until the router is switched off and on again.. any ideas on the fix?
12 REPLIES 12
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Iphone and DG834GT

Hi daskinner,
Do other devices, such as a laptop or PC have the same issues at all? Or is it just with the iPhone?
daskinner
Grafter

Hi Chris, All my other devices are fine even my other apple prouducts ipad and ipod.. I think its something to do with the ip address given to the iphone.  If i switch the router off and on the phone gets a proper ip address and works fine but once the connection is lost the new ip address given to the phone when i look at the iphone DHCP settings is a really odd number so its connecting to the router but no data cant be transfered. I think a possibe fix would be to make the netgear router assign the same ip address to the iphone but im not sure how to do this within the router config? I can see the option in the thompson router settings. Whats your thoughts can you offer any advice?
I dont want to keep switching my router on and off as my sync speed has dropped by 1mb while ive been messing about trying to get it to work so for the time being ive switched back to the thompson router while i find a fix.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reboot the DG384GT and get the iPhone to wirelessly connect, and check that it's working.
Login to the DG384GT web interface, then navigate to the "Advanced" -> "LAN IP Setup" screen.
In the section called "Address Reservation" hit the "Add" button (and wait a few seconds).
You should now see the "Address Reservation Table", and one of those entries will be your iPhone.
In the left hand column, select the line that corresponds to your iPhone, and the details will be copied to the section below the table.
If the "Device Name:" is showing "UNKNOWN" then edit it to something like "Wifes iPhone"
Hit the "Add" button.
Check the correct details are now displayed in the "Address Reservation" table.
Job done  Cool
daskinner
Grafter

Thank you very much. Ill give this a try in a day or so as im trying to get my sync speed back up as its dropped which im putting down to all of the reboots ive been doing!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt if one more reboot will make any difference, and it really is a two minute job to setup, after which you can leave the router switched on and uninterrupted.  If the iPhone can currently connect, then there will be no need for the initial reboot anyway, I just added that step to ensure the iPhone got a valid IP address - but if it already works then all you need to do is select the iPhone from the list and hit the "Add" button and no rebooting will be necessary.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have the DG834G v4 which uses the same chipset and I haven't seen any problems but I have added them to the access list and allow broadcast of name (SSID)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi daskinner,
Hope it worked for you, please let us know how it goes/went Smiley
daskinner
Grafter

Hi Matt,
im going to try this around lunch time today as i belive thats the best time of day to reboot and sync the router as the snr is at it its highest so ill get the best possible sync speed? Or have i got this wtong and i should reboot when the snr is at its lowest?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You have it right
daskinner
Grafter

Thank you oldjim. The sn when i woke up was 6db its currently 6.5db and i think it peaks at 7.5 around lunch time. This is what happened over the last few days anyway.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fingers crossed for you, hope it works Smiley
daskinner
Grafter

IT WORKED  Smiley thanks for all you help.