cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invisible Thomson Wireless Router

peterbarker
Grafter

Invisible Thomson Wireless Router

For a long time I have been using  BT Voyager 210 ADSL Router via USB, which works fine.
Earlier this year PlusNet sent me a Thomson Wireless Router TG585 V7
Today I tried unsuccessfully to set up it up.
After connecting it and switching it in on, I eventually get 5 steady green lights, i.e.
Internet
Broadband
Wireless
Ethernet
Power
However,  I do not get a “Thomson Welcome Page” when I open the browser nor does the PC connect to the internet.
I have typed in http://192.168.1.254 into the browser but again it  I am not taken to the Thomson Home Page
I have Windows XP amd set Control Panel as suggested in the Thomson instructions:
Internet Properties / Connections / Never dial a connection
and
LAN settings / Automatically detect settings.
Still no result.
I would appreciate ideas for my next step.  Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Invisible Thomson Wireless Router

are you connecting it Ethernet cable or wireless?  The wireless I  am pretty sure comes with WPA security installed, that will need setting up on your PC, Cable should be the same as with your old 210
edit  you will find the security pass word on the base of the router, note all uppercase
peterbarker
Grafter

Thanks for reply.  I am connecting to my base PC by Ethernet cable and can't get anything from the router.  Even though I have a "green" light indication for Ethernet from the router.  At this stage I want the base PC to work with the router, but it has to be an Ethernet connection because the PC doesn't have wireless. However, my mobile phone has wi-fi and can connect by wireless to the router (after inputting the security pass word on the base of the router, as you mention).  The mobile phone then displays the Thomson / PlusNet welcome screen. 
dick:quote
MrC
Grafter

Have you tried uninstalling the USB driver that would have been used to connect your PC to the Voyager 210 (and rebooting afterwards)? It's possible that this driver is conflicting with your ethernet setup.
peterbarker
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion.  Tried as suggested, but no success. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you installed the ethernet drivers for the motherboard (nothing to do with windows). This assumes that this is the first time you have used the ethernet port
peterbarker
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion.  I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Ethernet drivers.  That was the problem.  Then completed setup with no problems.  Very pleased.  Thanks again.