cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invisible Folder???

bubbalicious
Grafter

Invisible Folder???

Help please, I hope this makes sense to anyone other than me!!
I do a lot of advertising, flyers etc for some local groups and sports clubs and always put together the graphics etc using a Broderbund program called Printmaster 11 (PM11). It gives me the option to add any graphics I use, create, edit to a section of its art gallery, as well as the posters etc are also saved within the program!  I've used it now for a few years, even when I changed over to using Vista it all seems to work ok but I have just discovered an issue whilst i was trying to save the projects and graphics to DVD.
On the Xp machine it was as simple as inserting a DVD, opening the following address C:\Program Files\Broderbund\PrintMaster\USER001 and then select either the projects or art folder and copy them over to the dvd! 
Having looked at the properties of my art and projects after opening up this PM11 they show that either art or projects are still saved to this folder,  but when I go to the location using Windows explorer I can't see this USER001 to be able to back up the projects & art!  I have tried using a 'data back up' option in my  Roxio Easy Media creator, that doesn't show this folder either, the only one that does is Windows DVD Maker, I can see the USER001 in the exact place I think it should be but this time because of the type of program DVD maker is I can't back them up this way either!  I am totally stumped as to why some programs  can see it but others can't, annoyingly especially the programs I use to back up my Data! The art files are nothing unusual .wmf, bmo, jpeg the projects I have are printmasters own file types but having had no issues backing them up to DVD before I don't know what to do!  I have used the search facility and it comes back with nothing when I use either the USER001 or a name of one of the 'arts' or 'projects' i have saved.  I have enabled the windows explorer shows hidden files and it still doesn't show them! I even copied all of the c:/programfiles/broderbund/printmaster folder to DVD and then had a look to see if this missing folder copies, but no luck!!
I can't understand why I can't see this USER001 Folder or any of its contents I need?  I was wondering if maybe I had something set wrong or ..........., and was hoping some clever person might know what could be happening and whether there is a way round it!  I have so much work stored in USER001 for the local groups, if there is a way of backing it uo it would save me hours of time not having to edit all the graphics, create the pictures again and redo posters etc!  I need to do a full recovery of my laptop, but i'll lose the lot if there isn't a way of making this 'invisible folder' appear! i even tried copying the whole Broderbund folder from the program files to DVD to see if it would magically appear after being copied - but no!! Oddly before moving to a Sony laptop, I had a toshiba, both running Vista. The toshiba had its own 'data backup to DVD' program that I used fine to copy this USER001 folder to DVD, but again it was invisible when using Wndows Explorer - so I am presuming good old Vista is the problem yet again!!
I realise there are newer versions around, and it is no doubt the easiest way but, I like this, its simple and I know how to use it! I already pay for ink, paper and anything else used for these projects etc, and don't charge the local groups a penny, to add the cost of new software at the moment is a big stretch!
Anyone who can help me please, whether this is something I can get around or not - I'd be so grateful for letting me know! 

3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Invisible Folder???

In Windows Explorer try going to Tools / Folder Options / View and tick Show Hidden Files and Folders as on picture
bubbalicious
Grafter

I had tried selecting 'show hidden files before' that before with no success, but having just tried again although it didn't immediately show the 'invisible folder', there was a new option appear at the top of the explorer page 'Compatability Files', I clicked on it and wow there is the missing USER001 Folder, and all I need is present and correct!
Thanks OldJim, this is the second time you have hepled me out of a jam! I am forever grateful, I have an annual fundraising event for a local footie club coming up and I was beginning to think I would have to redo all the 'stuff' from scratch! 
My Hero!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63