Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet without landline or cable

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Internet without landline or cable

No cable, no telephone line. What's the most cost effective/easy way to get internet so I can watch a film on TV please.

10 REPLIES 10
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Internet without landline or cable

If you've coverage Three mobile/home broadband.

With Black Friday just around the corner it's worth waiting though, as their unlimited data package is usually on offer.

http://www.three.co.uk/store/broadband/home-broadband

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Hmm  ... sounds interesting. at £264.00 for a year...

Presumably, you have to have a separate contract for your calls...   a monthly charge ? ? ? ?    and then ... add on the calls you make... ? ? ? ?

But... how can you get ANY calls made to  your landline diverted to the mobile number .   IF  you decide to dump your landline completely...

Other wise ... it will be much more expensive,.... just to keep the landline for any one-off forgotten to advise them  about change of contact number  type calls... e.g. your dentist... or the NHS for your annual screening.. whatever... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

All you get is data no calls but it's very good and with 5G on it's way it will only get better hopefully.

With most landline broadband you have to pay extra for calls gone are the days when you used to get free calls after 6pm then after 7pm and weekends

The beauty of mobile broadband you can take it on holiday so you don't have to use to camp site wifi

Brian A

shutter
Community Veteran

Yes,.... so... you still need, another contract for your calls.... therefore, you have two contracts,  one for the internet, and one for the calls,

plus the call charges.

I note, also,.... that you need a 240v supply point to be able to plug in the "hub", or whatever it is... so unless you  have 240v at the campsite, you will also need an inverter of some kind... !

for me.... that would be an expensive proposition...  I currently have a Long term landline contract with PN... about to rise to just over £200 for 18 months.... pro rata that is equiv to £133.00 for a year..

On top of that... I pay a small amount for the broadband ( adsl ) ... and my calls, which averages at £10.00 per month ( inclusive ) .. (cos we don`t use the landline for calls much) .

On top of that  I have a PAYG fone... which costs me about £10.00 per YEAR... cos I don`t make hardly any phone calls ! ! !... but have the service for the internet on 3g .or the phone part of it...if I were to go on hols, I can "pair" my laptop, if I needed the "BIG SCREEN"...

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@shutter wrote:

Yes,.... so... you still need, another contract for your calls.... therefore, you have two contracts,  one for the internet, and one for the calls,

plus the call charges.

Most people already have mobiles they use for calls.

But you can always use VOIP. Plus the Huawei HomeFi actually has a POTS port you can plug a phone into and allow you receive and make calls from.it.

I note, also,.... that you need a 240v supply point to be able to plug in the "hub", or whatever it is... so unless you  have 240v at the campsite, you will also need an inverter of some kind... !

Because you're looking at their Home broadband offerings.

Their mobile offerings come with small portable, battery powered routers

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

Mayfly
All Star

Thanks for the replies. I want it for a holiday home that does have 240V electric so looks to fit the bill perfectly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's for a holiday home a mobile broadband device would be ideal

I have used an EE Osprey box in the caravan with no problems and it was far better than the sites WiFi

Brian A 

quelquod
Pro

@shutter suggested that " I currently have a Long term landline contract with PN... about to rise to just over £200 for 18 months.... pro rata that is equiv to £133.00 for a year... "

How do you manage that? My option seems to be restricted to "Pay for 12 months line rental up front for £209.88"

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
shutter
Community Veteran

@quelquod   You could be right..... life gets confusing sometimes, when you are 3score+ten + and a few more !  Cheesy

quelquod
Pro

@shutter commented " life gets confusing sometimes, when you are 3score+ten + and a few more !  Cheesy"

Ah yes - me too! But its a damn sight better than the alternative!

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!