cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet goes dead when other Laptop is on

DreamVB
Grafter

Internet goes dead when other Laptop is on

Hi I found a problum with my wifi each time my dad try to do some downloading or listening to music from amazon my internet or wireless just goes dead and I can't do a thing for a few minutes any idea what maybe causeing it.

9 REPLIES 9
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Internet goes dead when other Laptop is on

The usual explanation is that both devices have the same IP address.

But is this problem confined to Amazon?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DreamVB - What type of connection are you on, ADSL or Fibre? Also what do you get in a speed test?

DreamVB
Grafter

I am on boardband ADSL my speed test the last few weeks have been well a bit loopy sometimes it saying 19Mbps others it been showing as less than 4Mbps it used to be a steady between 10mbps, I also noticed things with downloads to. I mean say for a 40MB file is shows like 29seconds but when downloading. it goes dead for a few seconds then starts a again. some files around 5MB have come right down while other times showing as 20min. last few weeks it been very strange.

I am not sure what happened I changed nothing that I know of.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Does your Dad have to be using the internet to cause the problem or is it there for as long as his computer is switched on?

DreamVB
Grafter

It seems to happen when he is on, I noticed it before now but not as much as in recent weeks. it like he hogging all the internet when downloading. it's well strange at the moment I seem to be running ok fingers crossed. but he's not got his laptop on. so I wait and see what happens when he puts it on latter.

PS Thanls for all the help you guys been given.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

The reason I asked is because I have seen the odd computer where the power transformer emits so much RFI that it can take down the internet connection.  That would happen as soon as the computer is switched on and starts to draw power.  

DreamVB
Grafter

I not herd of that before is there anything I can do about it

ejs
Aspiring Hero

If what @ReedRichards said were the case, then the Internet connection wouldn't work well on the other laptop either.

Of course, with a laptop, you could unplug its power adapter from the mains and run it off its battery temporarily, to see if its power adapter is causing the problem (emitting interference).

If this is with the Plusnet Hub Zero (2704N) router, I suspect it's due to the poor performance of that router when something is doing some uploading.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try running one of the laptops on ethernet cable for at least several days. The problem hopefully won't recur and your downloads will be faster.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."