Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection public or private

FIXED
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Internet connection public or private

Noticed that my internet connection is Public, should I change it to Private?

What changes would I find if I did.

I currently have two printers, an iPhone and iPad that connect WiFi. Also a Sky On Demand adaptor, Amazon Fire Stick and Kindle reader that connect WiFi when required.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES 4
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Internet connection public or private

Fix

If you change it to private, I think you will lose the WIFI side of the connection...

I had a problem recently, where I could not see the wifi icon on the task bar, and could not connect via wifi, tried all sorts of stuff, then finally found that changing from private to public the wifi icon appeared and all was good again ! ! .

( of course, I could be wrong...  ! ) ...

petlew
Pro

Yes, thanks shutter. I vaguely recall seeing that or something very like it written down somewhere.

Like lots of things in Win 10, looking through the options, the answers are not always clear.

I'll leave it on Public, and give you a green tick.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Ideally a home network should be private as this link explains.

petlew
Pro

Ok thanks Browni, following that advice, I've switched my network to Private, with no apparent change in operation, except, it may be fractionally quicker connecting with the printers, but that maybe more to do with recently fitting an SSD.