cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection keeps stalling

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Internet connection keeps stalling

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been having problems using the Internet. I will try to access something, but part way through, the process stops with a "Waiting for...." message at the bottom of the screen. The progress indicator always seems to get to about mid-way quite quickly and then it stops. This happens, not only on my desktop pc, but also on my wife's laptop pc.
Even as I type this there is a "3 items remaining.... " message at the bottom of the screen.
We never used to have problems when we used older IE, but now we are using IE8, it happens more times than not. Searching in Google doesn't seem to be too much of a problem.
I did a speed test this morning and got 5783kB for the download speed. I understand our local telephone exchange got that new high-speed internet upgrade earlier this month.
Is there a problem with IE8? Is there a problem with the new high-speed internet? Do I need to upgrade the s/w on my modem (Netgear DG834G)?
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
win7xp
Grafter

Re: Internet connection keeps stalling

In IE8 click on tools - internet options
click on advanced tab - scrool down till you see "Enable third party browser extensions" and un tick it
apply and restart IE8
might work
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I had the same symptoms at about the same time - after the recent major AVG9 update, even with it disabled. Same with Firefox or IE8.
Uninstalled AVG and all worked fine, so switched to Avast, which I now prefer.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Download and install Firefox....
have you got Zone Alarm Installed?  the firewall may be causing the hold up...
penneck
Aspiring Pro

To Win7xp - Thankyou. I have tried your suggestion, but it didn't have any effect.
To shutter - Thankyou too. I haven't tried Firefox, but I have, since yesterday, downloaded Google Chrome. That seems to have improved the situation, but I am still having the occasional slow access to a web-site.
To 4C - Thankyou. I have AVG9. I will experiment with uninstalling it, and see what happens
penneck
Aspiring Pro

An update - as suggested by 4C, have uninstalled AVG9 and replaced it by Avast. Tested the web access using IE8 for an hour or so, and no problems.
Re-installed AVG9 instead of Avast, and problem reappearred.
Back to Avast
Shame really cos I have been using AVG for some years, and I thought it was great. May try AVG again in about 6 months just to see if this problem has been cured
Anyway thanks to all for your help.
Now my next irritant is that Zone Alarm keeps saying every so often that Google Installer is trying to access the web. Any suggestions how to stop that. My preference is NOT to give Google Installer carte blanche to load what it wants. It is my pc and I want to decide what goes on it.
Any suggestions?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

One has to be aware these days of unwanted extras being included with wanted downloads. IIRC the Google Chrome browser is downloaded with Avast 5 Free by default. Guess you didn't decline the option?
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

From what I have read about google chrome, it is a very "nosey" bit of programing, and will try to do all sorts of "quiet background working", while you aren`t aware of it.... Suggest you try looking further back on the forum for more detailed info on this.... Again, From what I have read about it, I have decided that I do not want Google to have that much info from my searches, and that is why I prefer Firefox... You still use the Google search engine, but it doesn`t do "sneaky things".!....
I am using AVG9.0, and it updates every day, never had any problems with it, and have been using AVG since 4.3 came out !!!....
I also use Zone Alarm, at least it is letting you know that Google is trying to "phone home", and you have the option of denying it that ..... You can set the answer to permantly refuse it by checking the box against the app in the Zone Alarm program permissions by putting an X in it.....!
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Strangely enough, I didn't let Avast download Google Chrome. I installed Google Chrome because it was recommended. Now that IE8 is working properly, I have uninstalled Google Chrome.
I too have been using AVG for years, so I'm disappointed that I have had to remove it to solve my internet problem. However, as I said in a previous post, I want to check AVG in about 6 months to see if the problem returns.
I shall set Zone Alarm to prevent Google Installer
Thanks to all for your help
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I found that I only has the AVG problem on XP machines, three of them.  This is a Win 7 machine with AVG and no problem