cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection indication ikon

colintivy
Rising Star

Internet connection indication ikon

I have seen in another post (Windows Software) that folks are missing an indication of connection to the internet on the toolbar which was in earlier versions.. I am on ubuntu 10.04 and seem to remember that 9.10 did have such an indication./. My lap top has a somewhat dickky  etho plug and fortunately my router has a comforting lamp which does the job. I am concerned that I may have to move my router to the Master socket to improve my download speed. Unfortunately this is in the garage roof and not visible. Does anyone know of a add-on to do what I want?
Huh Huh
13 REPLIES 13
Waldo
Grafter

Re: Internet connection indication ikon

Assuming 10.04 uses NetworkManager to handle networking, it should have a panel applet to do what you're looking for.
I'd check to see if the nm-applet (I think that's what it's called) is running.
I don't have access to anything using NetworkManager right now, aptosid/KDE gives me three different icons for 3G, Ethernet, & Wireless networking.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Network Manager should be on your panel, if not just add it by right click/add to panel the choose Network Manager.
The icon will change dependant on connected/not connected.
colintivy
Rising Star

@HB
Looked at listed optional icons but Network manager does not appear on it. The search continues! But thanks anyway.
C.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Check you have the notification area set then, it may live in there.
colintivy
Rising Star

Notification Area is on the list under Add to Panel option. When selected and Added, apparently nothing happens. I have tried particularly to put it just to the left of the Date and Time chunk of the Bar (where I think the 9.10 was) but there is no sign of the Network manager either. I have tried experimentally some of the other options and they all appear as expected. Still a mystery!
C.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

This is strange, try Indicator applet next.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why do you need it?
If your web browser stops working, you could ping a couple of well known sites...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you got "network-manager-gnome" installed ? - as that has the systray applet component, whereas just "network-manager" doesn't..
colintivy
Rising Star

I have discovered that the Notification Area (2.30.2) is actually where I wanted it but does not appear to have an icon. I have searched Synaptic and see that Network Manager.gnome 0.8ubuntu3 is shown as installed. I will try to find it in my files and, presumably, will find out how to give the indication that I require. Thanks.
C.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The notification area doesn't have an icon itself, it is a place holder for things that want your attention like the update manager etc.
finrod

I lost my own indicator (symbol of wired or wireless connection), and got it back.  I have just retraced this, by removing the connection indicator, and then adding 'Notification Area' to the panel.  Hope I have understood your problem?
Mark
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Mark and welcome to our forum,
If you look earlier in the thread you will see that the Notification Area is present in my set-up but the connection indicator just does not seem to be an option any more. I note that you say that you lost it and got it back but what version of Ubuntu are you using? I have not found much more about this problem despite the valuable advice above, just a bit busy to spend time on it right now.
Thanks for your interest.
Wink
finrod

Hello
I suspected I hadn't grasped the problem exactly, but thought 'who knows?'.  I was using 10.04 until very recently, and fixed the problem there.  In the past few days, frustrated by address book sync problems (and long term Ubuntu One inactivity), I upgraded to 10.10, where I removed and re-installed the said indicator.  I'll update my profile with relevant os details.  Mark