cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet access on a given date and time range

BillBoddy

Internet access on a given date and time range

I need to know whether of not the internet was accessed from my phone number on Friday August 15th 2014 between the hours of 12:00 and 19:00. Is this information available?
6 REPLIES 6
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Internet access on a given date and time range

Hi BillBoddy
We will be able to tell if you were connected or not, though we won't be able to tell what happened, what information was accessed. Would you mind elaborating a little on exactly what you need?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suspect - pure guesswork - that the OP is interested in the usage figures for that period to see if someone was piggybacking on his connection
Of course I could be completely wrong  Shocked
BillBoddy

I had some work done on a PC. When the bill came in there were charges for work which had not been undertaken, this included work which would have needed internet access.
I am reasonably certain that the PC was physically not connected at the time but the engineer swears that it was. If I can show that there was no access to the internet at the time the engineer was here it will prove that he was not telling the truth and that he is not entitled to be paid for work that he did not do.
catelliott
Grafter

Hi BillBoddy,
I've tried to look for the information that you've asked for, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be stored in our database anymore. I'm really sorry about this Sad
BillBoddy

OK, then maybe this can be approached from a different direction. Here is the relevant part of a chat session with a Plusnet support engineer:
Aero: Good evening, I'm Aero. How can I help you today?
Me: I spoke to you a few minutes ago about ip allocation on August 22 last year. What I forgot to ask was could you tell me what time the first ip address was allocated, please?
Aero: ok
Aero: bear with me
Aero: I'll only be a couple of mins, I need to pull the data back up as I'd closed it
Aero: 195.166.130.144 was assigned at 00:25
Aero: this then changed to 195.166.128.97 at 20:38

The ip address for the session which started at 00:25 would last until it timed out, presumably a set time after its last usage. That  ip address could then be used for a session with some other user. Is there any way of finding out what time this time-out happened or is there any record of this ip address being used for a different user later on that day?
Please note that the date in question was August 22nd rather than the date of August 15th which I mistakenly gave earlier.
BillBoddy

Quote from: MattyC
Hi BillBoddy
We will be able to tell if you were connected or not, though we won't be able to tell what happened, what information was accessed. Would you mind elaborating a little on exactly what you need?
Matty

For some unknown reason I skipped through this without reading it correctly.
In fact, this is exactly the information that I require, could you please tell me how I can go about getting it.
Thanks in advance,
Bill Boddy