cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet access in Orkney

RobDickson
Grafter

Internet access in Orkney

I'm going on holiday to Orkney. I'll mostly be based in Stromness, but will be diving all around the island. Does anybody know about 'net access in the area?
1) Mobile phone (GPRS) coverage, both in Stromness, and offshore.
2) Wi-Fi hotspots.
3) Internet cafes.
I already have an Orange phone, but I will also be getting a new phone, so will be able to choose the second network based on what has the best coverage.
I have tried looking on the 'net, but haven't had much luck yet.
9 REPLIES 9
James
Grafter

Re: Internet access in Orkney

I don't know about 1) or 2) but I would be very very surprised if they didn't have Internet Cafés.
James
Grafter

Well, I found one in Shetland if you fancy a swim Smiley
Link
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. Internet Cafés are a last resort, but worth considering.
I doubt the skipper will take us to Shetland just for me to access my e-mail, but you never know...
Mand
Grafter

Kirkwall Library offers internet access for free if that's any good, other than that all that seems to be available is free Wifi in hotel rooms.
You should be able to get a mobile phone signal, though I'd get a bundle deal with your mobile operator first if you're planning on using GPRS a fair bit, as the charges can soon stack up.
RobDickson
Grafter

I got a very useful e-mail from Stromness Tourist Information Centre:
The best network coverage in Stromness and overall in Orkney is either Vodafone or O2. T-mobile has a slight coverage in Kirkwall and Finstown however, Orange has very little coverage at all and often does not work entirely. Vodafone and O2 would also have the best coverage whilst out at sea but this may only be a slight signal.
There are no WiFi points in Stromness and the only internet access is provided free at the library. The opening times are listed below.
Monday - Thursday: 2 - 7pm
Friday: 2 - 5pm
Saturday: 10am - 5pm
Sunday: Closed
Internet is also provided free at the Kirkwall library and there is WiFi at an internet café on Junction Road in Kirkwall.

Thanks for your help.
Bud
Grafter

Their information about t-mobile coverage is plain wrong, I have been using them in Orkney for a good few years now and use the Web N Walk datacard frequently.  The only network with no coverage in Stromness is Orange which is limited to Kirkwall and Finstown and down towards St Margarets Hope.
I know a couple of the dive boat skippers here use GPRS out in the flow to get email and weather, one of them using t-mobile and the other using vodafone.
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks for the post. From previous experience, I knew that Orange's coverage is poor, so I have got a Vodafone PAYG phone for my trip.
Bud
Grafter

Forgot to mention, there is WiFi at Kirkwall airport provided by BTOpenzone
RobDickson
Grafter

Just got back from my week's diving in Scapa, and found Vodafone to be very reliable. Orange has a strong signal on the outskirts of Stromness.