cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Radio for FREE ........... ish

Anonymous
Not applicable

Internet Radio for FREE ........... ish

I live in a very poor signal reception area for Radio, DAB & FM, so have been looking at getting an Internet Radio for use within the house, away from my computer study.
Either Ethernet near the router, or wi-fi elsewhere.
Dedicated Internet Radios are quite expensive though, for the minimal use I would have for one.
Then, I had a brainwave !!
I have an Android Smartphone, which defaults to wi-fi when there is a signal.
And there are Internet Radio apps available, from Google Play Store for Android.
Success, I now can receive Internet Radio throughout the large house, for free....
(And near wi-fi hotspots outside)
And it's good quality too.
My Smartphone has a standard 3.5mm stereo headphone socket, and works well with external powered speakers, though TBH not really required.
My favourite apps for Android are:
Tunein Radio & Smooth Radio.
I presume this is also the case for other operating systems on Smartphones.
(My Smartphone is only used as backup for PN Broadband, if there is a local power outage, when it would switch to 3G mobile network.)
I have Ovivo and Samba networks available on my Smartphone .
10 REPLIES 10
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Internet Radio for FREE ........... ish

http://www.videolan.org/ ; that can play streams, all you have to do is find the streams url and bookmark it.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I've used tune-in before on my Android phone, works well. However I got an Orange Liveradio a few years ago when they were almost giving them away (<£30) and it works on wifi. However they are no longer available, built on stereo speakers and an lcd display for showing station/song etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like Tunein Radio on my Smartphone, it's so simple & easy to use, and displays presenter, pics and other info.
Using wi-fi, my Smartphone doesn't require a SIM card either.
Wi-fi usage is not a consideration for me, but others on lower usage limits may need to be careful of listening to the radio for long periods, daytime.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yes I pointed this out when thinking of switching to a lower use tariff. Listening to on-line radio all day (as I do) you can go though a LOT of bandwidth in a month. I stuck to unlimited, however when I move to fibre next month (hopefully) I will have to watch it.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

BBC streams use about 18kB/s and my local station via its own player 8kB/s so not that bad
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yes but when listened to 24/7 it adds up to more than 10Gb/month  Lips_are_sealed
Anonymous
Not applicable

16/7 billable on PlusNet !
James
Grafter

Would re3commend sleeping at some stage otherwise it might be rather bad for your health.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I tend to leave the radio on (it only uses 5W power) connected to my "hifi" which has a sleep function on it, 90 mins and it will turn itself off. but radio is still on so when I wake up at silly o'clock I just start the timer again. Then again it is off just now - but I am using Radiotray on the pc to listen to the radio  Cheesy
True about pn @ 16/7 but I was looking at moving so had to cover all bases.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could do an overnight download, for streaming during the first 8 hours of following day...  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."