Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer11

FIXED
John_Essex
Grafter

Internet Explorer11

I have an oddity that has affected two PCs. Something has stopped explorer 11 from loading?

It started happening  yesterday.

Clicking on the short cut for it starts the little icon spinning then it stopped and explorer fails to start.

I suspect that it's a windows update that has caused it and luckily I also have Google Chrome on the machines and that still works fine.

I have put one machine back to a few days ago using the system image that I have the system create on an external drive on the 10th of each Month and that started Explorer 11 working again. However it didn't last and now it's back to not opening again.

Chrome still works fine though and I am using that at the moment.

Has anyone else had this problem?

14 REPLIES 14
John_Essex
Grafter

Re: Internet Explorer11

Update

Got IE 11 working on my laptop now after running a system restore back to mid March.

I have also disabled window updates so I'll see if that lets it keep working.

Watch this space Roll_eyes

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It's usually an add-on that malfunctions.  Try Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer (no add-ons) next time it happens.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

One (obvious) question, unless I missed it, is what version of windows are the affected devices running?

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
John_Essex
Grafter

Running windows 7 on both machines.

the Laptop which I am running now is still holding up but the Desktop machine is still having nothing to do with IE 11 but will happily run Chrome.

I'm just restoring a system image on the Desktop machine now and will then disable windows updates and see if that keeps it working.

I did download and reinstall IE11 on the Desktop this morning and it did initially start working but soon refused to open yet again. Undecided

John_Essex
Grafter

Hopefully I have finally got it sorted. After trying many things and making sure that explorer was set to run as a service all to no avail I finaly decided to delete "AVG free"  completely.

Lo and behold IE11 sprung back into life Smiley

Then installed Avast as my anti virus and everything is still working.

Odd thing though a few days after IE11 stopped I got a phone call from overseas by a guy claiming to be from Windows Assistance. I told him to clear off Angry I am beginning to wonder though if that was coincidence or had some one actually put a fault on so that they could charge me for clearing it ?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@John_Essex wrote:

....Odd thing though a few days after IE11 stopped I got a phone call from overseas by a guy claiming to be from Windows Assistance. I told him to clear off Angry I am beginning to wonder though if that was coincidence or had some one actually put a fault on so that they could charge me for clearing it ?

No, it's pure co-incidence.  We all get these calls (unfortunately) and the people on the other end of the line do not even know for certain that you have a computer, let alone what make and model it is or what version of Windows it runs.  If you fall for this con and surrender control of your computer to the total stranger who cold-called you then they try to give the impression of having done something and are more likely to install AVG than remove it.

By the way. AVG most likely wrecked IE 11 by installing an add-on that went wrong.  

John_Essex
Grafter

By the way. AVG most likely wrecked IE 11 by installing an add-on that went wrong.  

Yes that's probably the case as it refused to uninstall from the control panel.

I had to boot in safe mode then delete its files and remove it as a service and start up using the config.sys command

So far though its all holding up even after a few more windows updates.

Fingers crossed. Lips_are_sealed

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Am I still allowed to post links?  There is a tool called AVG Remover (AVG_Remover.exe) which you can download from this section of AVG's web site (see part C).  This is for use when the normal uninstall fails.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

@ReedRichards wrote:

Am I still allowed to post links?  

Yup, why wouldn't you be?

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I saw a reference in a recent post to an external link removed by a moderator.  I once got chucked-off a BT 'help' forum for posting an external link but they're a paranoid lot.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I think only external links to either 'unsavoury', 'illegal' or 'dangerous' (virus-infested / phishing etc.) are likely to get deleted (for obvious reasons).

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

as W23 says really, only unsuitable links are removed and if they are removed you should get a PM with a reason why.

there is a slim chance a post with a link would get spam trapped, but it'd be released once checked.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
John_Essex
Grafter

@ReedRichards wrote:

There is a tool called AVG Remover (AVG_Remover.exe) which you can download from this section of AVG's web site (see part C).  This is for use when the normal uninstall fails.

Thanks for that link. Downloaded and used it and it claims to have removed all traces of AVG from my system Smiley

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Fix

Good.  An analogous removal tool exist for Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee and doubtless other security software also.