Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer vs. Firefox

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Internet Explorer vs. Firefox

After the recent security issue with IE, I downloaded Firefox and have been trying it out most of the time in preference to using IE. However, I'm not certain I have got any preferences or options set up in Firefox for optimum use. For instance, on some sites I get a blue lego brick graphic which suggests that I have not installed a plugin needed to display the image properly. So I'm looking for advice on which plugins are must haves or most useful. Also, are there any to avoid?
Will adding these plugins slow down the browser operation? I have already noticed that some sites I regularly visit seem to take longer to display in Firefox compared to IE.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
23 REPLIES 23
James
Grafter

Re: Internet Explorer vs. Firefox

Where's Bob Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I've attached a list of the plugins that are installed on the lappy I'm using at the moment. Unlikely you'll need them all however I don't have any problems with any of the content on websites. I've also attached a list of the extensions that I'm using with this install of Firefox.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Santiago
Grafter

Here are the add-ons I have for firefox
Most of them were recommended from various sources, friends,blogs, forums etc.
Firefox will normally offer you plug ins where required eg correct web page display.
Getting Firefox set up will take some with trial and error. Decide what you want from the browser and try the relevant addons.
For example I use eBay often so I have installed the eBay companion.
If you try an add on and you don't like it you can disable it or uninstall it very easily
Have a look at Opera and Google Chrome if you want a faster browser.
[Edit] Here is my list using Infolister addon which I have just installed. Thanks jelv
Extensions (enabled: 30, disabled: 1; total: 31)

maranello
Pro

Thanks for these responses. I'm currently using a work PC, which doesn't have Firefox, and has just been hit by the lunchtime internet traffic slowing everything down. This machine also does not display Santiago's attachment, so will have to look at all the advice in greater detail when I get home.
Not applicable

Have used FF for a very long time and never use IE7 unless I really have to (BT speedtester being one instance).
The must-have is Adblock Plus which blocks advertisements, particularly the animated/video types which use up bandwidth.
Another good one is Foxmarks which backs up your bookmarks and makes them accessible on any computer with FF installed.
Reminderfox is handy to put it your appointments and to dos.
Fairly recently I have been using NoScript which adds security to the browser. However, this does take a bit of getting used to as some sites are not fully functional so you have to right-click and temporarily allow scripts. When you are paying for items/services, it is necessary to allow the site first as the software on secure sites cannot operate correctly without certain scripts.
Opening another tab in FF is easy - just press the scroll wheel and it will open the desired page in another tab.
On the Tools/Privacy tab I have it set not to allow third-party cookies and they are kept only until I close FF, although you can keep them until they expire.
The plugins that you refer to are usually installed quickly and easily - the incidence of you getting the messages will obviously decrease over time.
IMO a much safer and user-friendly browser.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Here's mine:
Extensions (enabled: 29, disabled: 1; total: 30)

This list was generated (with all the BBCode) by the InfoLister addon.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mal0z
Grafter

Doesn't that lot slow it down somewhat ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Not in use, but it does make it slower to start. I just fire it up at the start of the day and minimise it rather than close it when not in use.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Santiago
Grafter

Yeah, that's how it is for me too.
Now I am going to have a look at a few of those on your list jelv.  Roll_eyes
thejudge
Rising Star

Said Poppy:
Have used FF for a very long time and never use IE7 unless I really have to (BT speedtester being one instance).

Have you tried pointing Firefox at http://217.35.209.142/ ? Works for me.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I'm not really a IE or FF man these days. I went back to Netscape for a while... which had come on leaps and bounds in some respects but it had also become bloated. Tried Chrome and didn't like the same memory bug it had that firefox once had. I liked Chrome and it has potential but the memory hogging was a massive issue for me which was the very same reason I ditched FF. IE is also suffering a bit with it too. I've seen one instance of IE use over 200MB of memory sometimes - thats just not right!
I now use SeaMonkey. It's mozilla based but its far lighter on memory and I've only had it ever crash once - with over 25 tabs! (and that was down to excessive flash player usage). In all SM is definitely the best browser I've used so far.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
artmo
Aspiring Champion

There's some good lists of plug-ins here.  I'm going to have to have a look at them.
maranello
Pro

Reading all the helpful responses last night left me no time to try any changes. I did manage to download Adobe Flash player (needed for the IKEA site - don't ask!). Then spent some time trying to book airport parking. Pages took ages to load (tried a few links from the google search results), but not due to any connection problems as the router lights were not flashing. Switched to IE and pages came up with no significant delay.
If Firefox continues to perform like this I might need to try alternatives. Others I have spoken to rave about Firefox though, so I will persevere in case I have some rogue settings which cause it to perform this way.
Again thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I think the reason most rave about FF is because it has the most attention as a serious competitor to IE. Similarly so does Chrome and look how many times you hear that one mentioned in a week...
Most people just go with the majority to be honest because they find it easier. People are like sheep - they can't think or try out new things for themselves.
I (as stated earlier) use seamonkey. Great browser and I've not looked back since. Its far lighter on memory requirements too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!