cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer stops working after a few minutes...

God
Grafter

Re: Internet Explorer stops working after a few minutes...

Hi PJ, good advice is always welcome. I haven't tried that on the PC in situ with the USB modem and the current ISP (and yes it does look like a DNS error), when I can get the machine on home ground with my router and a connection to PlusNet I will certainly be seeing if the behaviour is the same and feel more comfortable about running those tests.
I left it several months ago with zonealarm running but I think this has since been removed.
Cheers
HighLordPhanty
Grafter

Re: Internet Explorer stops working after a few minutes...

Quote from: God
Hi Folks
I have just been trying to help a pal out who has been having some browsing problems for a few days. Internet explorer 7 (on an XP box) starts producing errors after 5 to 10 minutes of browsing, as if it is no longer connected to the net.
However he is connected via a usb bb modem, messenger is still connected and asking any security program to update works fine as well, so it is just IE that is having a problem. I have checked his IE connection settings and can’t see anything out of place; Explorer is set to dial a connection whenever a connection isn’t present.

sounds exactly like the problem I had.
XP's USB power management is crap. The modem was drawing too much power and just stopped working but windows was none the wiser.
Running the modem off a powered  USB hub fixed the problem.
Jim