cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer stops working after a few minutes...

God
Grafter

Internet Explorer stops working after a few minutes...

Hi Folks
I have just been trying to help a pal out who has been having some browsing problems for a few days. Internet explorer 7 (on an XP box) starts producing errors after 5 to 10 minutes of browsing, as if it is no longer connected to the net.
However he is connected via a usb bb modem, messenger is still connected and asking any security program to update works fine as well, so it is just IE that is having a problem. I have checked his IE connection settings and can’t see anything out of place; Explorer is set to dial a connection whenever a connection isn’t present.
I did try to restore his PC back a few days to the point where the trouble started but unfortunately the restores were unsuccessful. My next step will probably be to uninstall explorer and then reinstall it, but I wondered if anyone here has any better ideas or can throw some light on the issue?

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Internet Explorer stops working after a few minutes...

Quote from: God
Explorer is set to dial a connection whenever a connection isn’t present.

I'd change that to 'Always Dial My Default Connection' TBH. Then File > Remove tick from Work Offline and hit F5.
See if that makes a difference.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

My next step will probably be to uninstall explorer and then reinstall it, but I wondered if anyone here has any better ideas or can throw some light on the issue?

The better idea idea is to use FireFox.
Ideally uninstall IE - although I believe that's more or less impossible.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Yep, you can't really uninstall IE but can only upgrade it. Not sure about downgrading it...
As always, try wiping the temp files first. I know it shouldn't make any difference but I had a problem with youtube a while back not finding my player and thus giving me the javascript turned off message. As soon as I wiped the temps it all worked.
Have you created another user account on their PC and tried to see if the same thing happens? - Thats always my first port of call before a system restore. Thats how I nailed the youtube problem...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
God
Grafter

Thanks Folks
I will give these options a try.
God
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Yep, you can't really uninstall IE but can only upgrade it. Not sure about downgrading it...
As always, try wiping the temp files first. I know it shouldn't make any difference but I had a problem with youtube a while back not finding my player and thus giving me the javascript turned off message. As soon as I wiped the temps it all worked.
Have you created another user account on their PC and tried to see if the same thing happens? - Thats always my first port of call before a system restore. Thats how I nailed the youtube problem...

There are 4 accounts on the PC they all have the same problem.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you tried a registry cleanup yet?
Midville
Grafter

I have had major problems with IE the last month or so. Constant 'lock ups / freezing' it has been really lousy!
No problems with Firefox.
minkey
Rising Star

Does it crash when you run Internet Explorer in No Add-ons Mode?
Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
Jeff
God
Grafter

I'll check that out as well, cheers.
Midville
Grafter

Only been running it for 5 mins or so and no crashes in 'IE safe mode'.
minkey
Rising Star

If safe-mode stops the crashing, you then need to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
From IE7 Select Tools - > Manage Add-ons -> Enable or Disable Add-ons.
From there its a bit trial and error. Disable each add-on in turn to see which one is causing it to crash.
Depending which add-on is causing you problems you can then choose it leave it turned off or try reinstalling the problem app.
Jeff
God
Grafter

Tried all of the above and no joy. Firefox would not connect either so it may well be a reinstall. I will get the machine here and try it on my router and see if that makes any difference.
Anteaus
Grafter

Tried all of the above and no joy. Firefox would not connect either so it may well be a reinstall. I will get the machine here and try it on my router and see if that makes any difference.

The two key mistakes here are using Internet Explorer and a USB modem. Both are notorious for their poor security, and iffy reliability. A system set-up with an Ethernet router and Firefox will be far more stable and reliable.
First though, the cause of the problem will need to be found. It may be an issue with the USB modem, or it may be a spyware infection picked up as a 'drive-by download.' Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, from  http://www.lavasoftusa.com is one of the better spyware detectors.
Other thing is, what antivirus do you use? If it's Norton, this may be causing problems rather than curing them. A free product such as AVG or NOD32 would be far preferable.
God
Grafter

Forgive me but I think you are jumping to conclusions. Using internet explorer isn’t a mistake for the 80+% of people who use it daily and the vast majority use it without any problems. Personally I prefer it to any other browser I have tried.  Using a USB modem isn’t as reliable as a router for sure, but this is not the problem as he isn’t losing his connection, other programs remain connected, browsers are losing their connection.
He has run full scans with bitdefender which is fairly reliable on XP. When I get the machine here I will run several other scanners to be sure that isn’t causing a problem.