A warning about using Internet Explorer from the German Government:
Internet Explorer
15 REPLIES 15
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Internet Explorer Problem

wow!  that is s c a r y....................  Shocked
How come Microsoft have this problem?  why can`t they write a piece of code that will be secure for their "customers"...
Glad I am using Firefox, but I`m a bit worried, in case the same type of attack gets to them too......... Undecided
artmo
Aspiring Champion

A bit more on the problem here:
More Info
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm..... looks like Google`s attempt to get China to "co-operate" and give the Chinese people the unlimited use of Google search engine, has caused the "attacker" to retaliate "through the back door".....
artmo
Aspiring Champion

A little more on the story:
Microsoft
David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter
How come Microsoft have this problem?  why can`t they write a piece of code that will be secure for their "customers"...

It's practically impossible to write code that is 100% secure, except maybe Hello World, but even then the underlying code that runs Hello World may have exploits which get run when you print out Hello World.
The problem is that code runs into hundreds of millions of lines, and as MS is a major consumer AND business supplier, they can't rush around and patch stuff with zeal, they have to ensure that any patch they create doesn't break the system it's installing on.  If the code suddenly broke, for instance, Microsoft Office's ability to do a major function (lets say, Open a file), MS get bad press, they also get bad press it they don't do anything quickly.
All operating systems are going to get exploits made for either them or applications that run on the OS, for instance, BIND, all browsers are going to have vulnerabilities that are exploitable, and the larger the code base, the higher the chance an exploit will slip through the gap.  I use Google Chrome, but even so I know that eventually there will be exploits in the wild that will try to steal my DNA or something and will target Chrome, or more likely it'll target Flash or PDF.  I don't believe there is any such thing as a "totally secure browser" and no one else should believe that either.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well this is very sobering but i am going to continue using IE8.microsofts pretty sharp with things like this and windows seven service pack one is already on the cards,It may be inevitable that we may get a nasty on our pc at some point one way or the other,ive actually had my fair share when using xp pro.
I try not to let it worry me and spoil my pc time,i know some people that really dont believe in the internet and pc's are not safe"i was one of them",best thing we can do is keep everything up to date.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: steve74
Well this is very sobering but i am going to continue using IE8.microsofts pretty sharp with things like this and windows seven service pack one is already on the cards,It may be inevitable that we may get a nasty on our pc at some point one way or the other,ive actually had my fair share when using xp pro.

I have never had any virus installed onto my Linux system.
I don't even bother with a virus checker. Grin
Luckily, it isn't possible to run M$ IE - at least I don't think it is!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Steve
Seasoned Pro

That's good jeremy,im chuffed to bits for you,no really i am Grin
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: Taxisofevil
Luckily, it isn't possible to run M$ IE - at least I don't think it is!

It's very possible to run MS IE under Linux, not sure what this M$ you refer to is...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero

I assumed that IE requires so many Microsoft bits and kludges to run at all that it wouldn't work.
Did you know that the download size of IE 1.0 was "only" 1.1 MBytes?
IE is 15 years old and it still doesn't work

Since I wouldn't run IE on Windows, I have no intention of running it on Linux!

David_W
Rising Star

Windows 3.1 was about 8Mb and Opera used to fit on a 1.4Mb floppy disk.  Firefox 1 is 4.69Mb in size and Firefox 3.6 is 7.95Mb.  IE8 is still only 13Mb.
shutter
Community Veteran

I have "an important update" notice..... when I click on it, it says it is Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista
Download size: 25.3 MB
You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
Update type: Important
Internet Explorer 8 is the latest version of the familiar Web browser that you are most comfortable using.  Internet Explorer 8 helps you get everything that you want from the Web faster, easier, and more privately and securely than ever. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista License Terms.
More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=71727
Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=71719

....... size 25.3Mb.....  which blows
  IE8 is still only 13Mb.

out of the water. ! ! ...
VileReynard
Hero

The following is a history of the Internet Explorer graphical web browser from Microsoft developed over 8 major software versions including 1.0 (1995), 2.0 (1995), 3.0 (1996), 4.0 (1997), 5.0 (1999), 6.0(2001), 7.0 (2006), and 8.0 (2009).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Internet_Explorer

David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter
I have "an important update" notice..... when I click on it, it says it is Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista
Download size: 25.3 MB

I can download it from Tesco's here and there it's only 17.9Mb (with bits added for Tescos).  The file I was looking at was IE8 RC1.  Gear download has it (for XP) at 15.9Mb.  Your 25.3Mb may be IE8 with updates patched in, or it may be that the 25.3Mb is an estimate, iirc Windows Update doesn't download IE8 it downloads an installer which then downloads the IE8 components you require.  So yes, my original estimate for IE is still correct at around 13Mb (at least for RC1)