cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer: Microsoft plans 'silent' updates

Anonymous
Not applicable

Internet Explorer: Microsoft plans 'silent' updates

[quote=BBC News]From January, Internet Explorer (IE) users will be automatically updated to the latest version of the browser.
Microsoft said it was starting the project to update millions of machines to improve security online.
Future updates to the browser would be applied without a user's knowledge to help beat scammers catching people out with fake updates.
[quote=BBC News]Those using Windows XP will be upgraded to IE8, while those on Vista and 7 get bumped up to IE9. This will probably mean the demise of IE6, a 10-year-old version of the browser that Microsoft has been trying to kill off for a while.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16214912
16 REPLIES 16
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Internet Explorer: Microsoft plans 'silent' updates

Nothing wrong with having an updated browser, God knows how many users are currently at risk.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Excellent idea in my opinion. There are still a lot of people using Internet Explorer 6 I would imagine.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think what is intended is that IE updates will function like any other update, not as the exception to the rule.
If you update Internet Explorer through Windows/Microsoft Update at present:

• You are always asked explicit permission before the installation.  This is a real pain when you are re-installing Windows, leave the computer to run 100+ updates and come back to find it got stuck at number 4 because it has popped up a window asking you to confirm that you want to install the IE update.  We would be well rid of that pop-up window!

• On a minority of computers the IE update is classed as optional so is not normally offered through automatic updates.  I don't know why this happens but again it adds a needless complication.

So bravo, Microsoft!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and I think I would notice being on Value if a big update was done silently, I do mine manually in the free period, and the last lot this month was over 100 M
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I think you are missing the point, Pierre_Pierre.  At present almost all Windows updates are "silent".  You can still elect to install them according to your own schedule or choose which ones not to install.  Internet Explorer is simply going to stop being an exception to this rule.  If you choose to install it amongst a batch of other updates it will stop asking you again if you want to install it when its turn comes.     
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

What happens to people who do NOT use IE as default browser.  Will M$ still quietly update their IE?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@chandu, Probably yes as It comes with the operating system Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@RR
that is not what the BBC item said
Microsoft said it was starting the project to update millions of machines to improve security online.
Future updates to the browser would be applied without a user's knowledge to help beat scammers catching people out with fake updates.
Those who did not want their browser updated could opt out or uninstall the software, said Microsoft.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

try reading the M$S official blog where the BBC got there info from
http://windowsteamblog.com/ie/b/ie/archive/2011/12/15/ie-to-start-automatic-upgrades-across-windows-...
TheIslander
Grafter

There is also this on the Sophos website http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/12/15/internet-explorer-to-upgrade-automatically-unless-you-say...
But I never use IE since it is rubbish.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: pierre_pierre
try reading the M$S official blog where the BBC got there info from

I read both articles and I can't see any difference between what they say and what I said.  If your computer is set to the Microsoft default to automatically download and install updates then in a sense all such updates are installed "without a user's knowledge".  But anyone who chooses can override the default, as you do PP.  People love to make mountains out of molehills with news from Microsoft and I think this is one such instance.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

there are a lot of links in the actual blog, the blue bits,
from those it looks like you have to instal a blocker program and not just tick a box on the update list.  It is a bloody big mole hill
Respecting Customer Choice and Control
While the benefits of upgrading are numerous, we recognize that some organizations and individuals may want to opt-out and set their own upgrade pace. One of the things we’re committed to as we move to auto updates is striking the right balance for consumers and enterprises – getting consumers the most up-to-date version of their browser while allowing enterprises to update their browsers on their schedule. The Internet Explorer 8 and Internet Explorer 9 Automatic Update Blocker toolkits prevent automatic upgrades of IE for Windows customers who do not want them. Of course, we firmly believe that IE9 is the most compelling browser for business customers, and we want them to make the decision to upgrade at their convenience. Commercial customers can learn more about how this auto upgrade affects them here.
Similarly, customers who have declined previous installations of IE8 or IE9 through Windows Update will not be automatically updated. Customers have the ability to uninstall updates and continue to receive support for the version of IE that came with their copy of Windows. And similar to organizations, consumers can block the update all together and upgrade on their own. Finally, future versions of IE will provide an option in the product for consumers to opt out of automatic upgrading.
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: BluePrint
Probably yes as It comes with the operating system Smiley

Thanks.
Chandu.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: pierre_pierre
from those it looks like you have to instal a blocker program and not just tick a box on the update list.

I think the blocker program is for centrally-administered business computer networks where automatic updates are otherwise applied by default.  It is much easier to run a program by means of a single instruction sent to every computer than to individually visit each computer on your network in order to untick a box to prevent an IE update being applied.