cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer Address Bar forgets

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Internet Explorer Address Bar forgets

If I type the address for any web site on the IE Address Bar, IE takes me to that web page. If when I have finished with IE and closed it, done something else on my pc, and then gone back into IE later, as long as I haven't shut down my pc, if I click on the down arrow at the RH end of the Address Bar those web sites I have visited earlier are still there on a drop-down menu.
However, if I had shut down my pc for a while and then come back to it, the IE Address Bar drop-down menu has been cleared.
The History thing in Internet Options shows 20 days.
I cannot find anything that tells the Address Bar to forget where I've been, although there is plenty of guidance on how to manually wipe the history.  Does anyone have any suggestions how to retain this data?
One possibility I have thought about, but dont know if it is the cause, could Ad-aware or SpyBot wipe this memory? I do run them often, but while I have used them for a long time, this Address Bar problem started only a month ago.
Thanks for your help.
Graham
6 REPLIES 6
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Internet Explorer Address Bar forgets

Tools menu> Internet Options> Content tab> Auto Complete button
Make sure there is a tick in the "Web Address's" box.
If there isn't then that is your problem. If there is, then there is some other evil at work..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the "Web Addresses" box is ticked.
I had some web addresses on the IE Address Bar drop-down list, so I ran a test. I found that running Ad-aware SE clears that drop-down list. It never used to. The only thing that has happened recently that may affect this was I changed the OS from Win 98 SE to Win XP, but I dont see why that should cause Ad-aware to affect IE.
Anyway, the question now is "How do I stop Ad-aware clearing the IE Address list?"
Thanks for any suggestions.
Graham
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Does adaware have a setting to leave the IE bar alone? (Sorry never used adaware myself)
When you say you changed from 98 (pants) to XP (Brilliant) how did you do it? - upgrade (IE install over 98) or fresh install (Format drive and install from XP disk)?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I did a clean install of XP, but it turns out that the change of OS does not affect the IE problem. I have another pc which has Win 98 and Ad-aware on it. Both of my pcs are connected to the web via a wireless router. The Win 98 pc also suffers from this "wipe the IE address memory" problem. Therefore, it must be something in the more recent updates from Ad-aware causing this problem.
I cant find anything in Ad-aware to protect IE.
Regards
Graham
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

The problem is caused by Ad-aware scanning your MRU (Most recently used) lists of which the Address bar in IE is but one.
You can either not tick the MRU section for IE when Ad-aware displays the found list (it will have a long registry key and if you drag the last column to the right it will expose the final ‘\Internet Explorer’ bit) or if you want to stop it scanning for them altogether;
With Ad-Aware open,
Click the [Settings] button,
In the ‘Settings’ screen click the [Scanning] tab,
Look down the left hand side and find the ‘Scan for MRUs’ line,
Click the green tick to put an ‘X’ into the option.
Click the [Save] button to save the change.
Now if you scan it will not scan any MRU lists and you will not accidentally delete them.
Regards, P.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Pendragon. That, with a bit of modification, was the answer.
I ran Ad-aware, then looked at the 'found' list. I ticked the MRU box, but sent it to the 'Ignore' List. I then went back to the Status page and opened the 'Ignore' List. I found which one of the entries mentioned Internet Explorer, then removed the other entries from the Ignore list.
Now when I run Ad-aware, it doesn't clear the IE address list.
Once again thanks to you and to Okrzynska for your help.
Graham