Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer 9

Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Internet Explorer 9

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11315819
Why would I be worried (I use Firefox)
"The web browsers of the day weren't taking advantage of the power of the hardware, really only about 10%, skimming the surface of the power of a PC," Tami Reller, corporate vice president of Windows, told BBC News.
"We wanted to make sure we're using 100% of the PC to bring the best experience possible."
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Internet Explorer 9

The real question is why would anyone use Internet Explorer ? (Any version)
idlewis
Grafter

Because I can get the Transport Direct Toolbal on Internet Explorer that you cannot get most of the others.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I used IE8 and tried the beta of IE9, Then I found this forum and members kept saying they used FF so I decided to give FF a go and at first I was not impressed but NOW? Well FF Is the only browser I use, Mainly for security reasons. I would not knock IE though, It does the job for me rather well. ( Love firefox though )
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Fixes: 102

Currently running Chrome and like it.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

MrT
Grafter

I've just installed Firefox. First impressions - much faster than IE8 with no loss of functionality.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: MrT
I've just installed Firefox. First impressions - much faster than IE8 with no loss of functionality.

Hmm - might have to give it a try again then - has the SHIFT+ENTER functionality been added so that when you start typing in an URL you can simply hit SHIFT+ENTER once the site you want appears at the top of the dropdown?  That's an amazingly good function that seemed to be missing from everything except IE8
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 10

When you get close, you can just click on the appropriate entry in the drop-down list.
Which is better. Smiley

gswindale
Grafter

I'll stick with IE then - that way I have the choice of either taking my hands off the keyboard to use the mouse or simply quickly pressing SHIFT+ENTER
The_10th
Grafter

Have a need for IE to check web email sometimes but predominantly Firefox for years now and as Ubuntu uses it it's a no-brainer imho for ease of use.
Tried others but Firefox has a nice layout and the tabs was great - shame IE took a long time to catch up but the world is changing and MS can't/won't dominate like it used to.
thisoldman
Grafter

ie 9 will NOT be available to xp users. Xp users occupy 72% of market
julesandsand
Grafter

I'm using SR Iron (stripped down Chrome) and like it well enough, however I've kept IE8 as certain sites I've visited don't support Chrome/Iron.
Denzil
Grafter

"We wanted to make sure we're using 100% of the PC to bring the best experience possible."

So does this mean that IE9 will be a resource hog, and they are trying to make it sound like a good thing? Wink
Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 86

I'm running the beta of Firefox 4 at the moment, the panoramic tabbing is what does it for me.
I installed IE9 on my Windows 7 x64 machine last week and after a reboot Windows Explorer was completely FUBAR. If I tried opening an Explorer window (Control Panel, My Computer, Documents, Libraries etc.) then Explorer crashed and restarted itself. The minute I uninstalled IE9, the problem went away.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Steve
Seasoned Pro

You have to remember that IE9 Is still In beta.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.