cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer 9 On It's Way

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Internet Explorer 9 On It's Way

Recently Microsoft applied for a patent for Internet Explorer 9, which will feature tabbed browsing upgrades. This is the latest in the moves that Microsoft is making to try to regain it’s performance superiority to the other browsers. As I have reported here before, Microsoft’s competitors have made significant inroads, in no large part due to Microsoft’s insistence on looking at the browser from their own unique perspective. This may be ok from the Operating System point of view because the have such limited competition there…(oh yea, What about Mac OS and Linux? Sure combined they have what … 10% of the market?), at the PC OS level MS is the only sheriff in town, but that is not the case with the browser…there are a lot of sheriffs, each claiming to bring their own law and their own order..
Full details...http://windows7news.com/2010/01/24/incoming-internet-explorer-9/
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
9 REPLIES 9
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Internet Explorer 9 On It's Way

Quote from: steve74
their own unique perspective.

That's one way of putting it Grin
I, for one, will not be getting excited about this!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well i for one am! To any one else who uses windows internet explorer how succesfull do you think 9 will be?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I just want it to be faster, especially on "older" kit.
Trying to, for example, load the BBC Weather page on my 5-year-old Dell desktop with onboard 64MB Intel graphics takes nearly as long as boiling a kettle for tea!  Angry
mal0z
Grafter

I just wish IE would become as standards compliant as other browsers such as Firefox, Opera, Safari etc., and when Microsoft treat the internet with some sort of respect instead of arrogantly assuming people want to do things their way.
Then when people design websites they will work with IE as they work with any others.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well i just benchmarked my browser and here is my results.you can benchmark your browser here..http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action
Google chromes the fastest i think
mal0z
Grafter

Interesting Steve - but speed isn't everything - what about accuracy of complying with html / css code ?.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Compare with:-

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

carrot63
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
Interesting Steve - but speed isn't everything - what about accuracy of complying with html / css code ?.

Amazingly the last full version of IE for the Mac (IE 5.x released in 2000) was actually claimed as completely standards compliant in html / css by MS. If it wasn't, it was certainly close, and wasn't a bad browser. The same adherence to standards was never claimed for the equivalent windows version (5.5), after which it really has gone downhill - IE6 is a nightmare, but is still the browser used by half of UK government.
Is browser speed really an issue any more? Nothing seems to take any noticeable time to render in the latest browsers unless you're using an older machine with low RAM or your connection is slow. Even a page designed by someone with an antiquated fetish for infinitely nested tables doesn't seem to faze the latest Firefox. The ability to block ads in FF must help the rendering speed - not an option I think in IE x.x
mal0z
Grafter

Somewhere in the dim and distant  past my memory tells me that it is possible that the MAC version had a different rendering engine - with a skin on top to make it look like IE on PC  ? ?