cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer 7 problem.

God
Grafter

Internet Explorer 7 problem.

I am having trouble accessing the www.ebuyer.com web site. All other sites I try load perfectly. I am using XP and IE7. It is definitely IE7 Related as I can access it using Firefox.
The status bar shows: Waiting for http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/home/... ; So clearly it is finding the server but not able to load the page, it just seems to sit in a loop.
I have turned off antivirus / spyware and Zone Alarm, it makes no difference. I have also deleted explorer temp files. Any Ideas what might cause this?
Oh and please don’t bother replying just to say I should be using Firefox anyway!  Wink
8 REPLIES 8
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: Internet Explorer 7 problem.

I've just gone to the site myself using IE7 and it loaded first time no problem.
I won't insult your intelligence and talk about cookies, etc etc as you already know what you're doing.
IIRC you said you were now using Vista Home Premium  upgraded from XP. Was it a fresh install you did or was it a upgrade process using the installation wizard?
I'm trying to think of a suitable answer for you! - only other one that springs to mind is security settings...

God
Grafter

Hi Roger
I am using my XP machine the Vista upgrade is a different box.
I have solved it and you are correct it was security settings.
I run Bit Defender and although I had turned it 'off' clearly there are some BD background services that remain running.
Having restarted BD and turning the virus and spyware settings down from aggressive to default I was able to access the site. I then turned virus back to aggressive and still had access. So there are clearly some web sites that BD spyware doesn’t like when in aggressive mode. I will have to remember to knock it down a notch if I have a problem in future!
Despite the odd quirk I stick with Bit Defender because on many occasions I have run it on folk’s machines that already run the big name security software only to find that BD will pick up several things they have missed.
Cheers.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

If it's any consolation, I still have Norton Internet Security *spit* keep telling me that some perfectly legitimate sites are "suspicious" or "phishing" sites.
I was a diehard Kaspersky fan, which I found to be one of the best, but at the time I bought my machine with vista pre-loaded on it, Kaspersky didn't have a Vista compatable version *sigh* so I bought the licence for NIS for a year.
Now a couple of months ago, I find out the vista version of Kaspersky is available!!!  Cry
Anyway, i've gone off topic enough here. Glad you got things sorted anyway Cheesy
God
Grafter

Hmmm... Actually Roger we could do with a decent discussion on the pros and cons of various anti virus programs.
How good they are or are not, if you need to be a power user or a novice to use them etc.
I have a horrible feeling most people are lumbered with the big boys because they have paid for a space on that new PC disk.
The number of folks I find with expired trial licences is frightening!
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Actually, that's a rather splendid idea Cheesy
As for expired trial licences, you're absolutely right, the amount I have seen too is shocking as you say - not to mention I get the more than frequent phone call from friends saying that their PC or Laptop has more or less ground to a halt, and upon inspection, numerous trojans, worms, malware, spyware and also to find that they have disabled windows update so their PC is more or less completely unpatched!!!
It usually takes me a good few hours to get it right and to clean up the registry entries but once done, their PC is as good as new, only for them to start installing those sodding toolbars again!!!

We could be here a long time trying to educate people lol
God
Grafter

Wow.. what a small world I created, I didnt know we had exactly the same friends  Grin
I have even found some buggers without Service Pack 2!
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

That would certainly sound like a similar group of individuals I know.
Perhaps you should assist and just hit their pc's with a few lightning charges.. Wink
Or, more humanely, ask them to simply re-pack their computers and take them back to the shop for a full refund!!!  Grin
atbs1
Grafter

We've been using Norton AV for many years, but often had system slowdowns; however the virus scan obce a week was quite speedy. The CS response by e-mail was painfull.
We changed to Webroot Spysweeper a few month ago, on the expiry of the last licence, on the recommendation of PC Pro magazine.  Virus definitions are updated daily, e-mail support is good; sheduled scanning runs ok on our HDD's but the scan on our external drive has never been completed - well I turn it off after 14 hours! 
All in all, I prefer the Webroot product.