cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent internet loss

Carpa_Bob
Dabbler

Intermittent internet loss

I'm running on Vista Ultimate 32Bit and every now and again I just lose my ability to access the internet (browsing with IE), and at the same time I will be unable to navigate to my wireless routers admin page.
A quick reboot of the PC solves the problem, but thats just an annoying waste of two minutes.
The only time I see any evidence of what might be wrong is if I'm running Azureus Vuze at the time.  It comes back at me with the message "Listen server socket on [/0.0.0.0:59152] does not appear to be accepting inbound connections. [Address already in use: JVM_Bind] AUto-repairing listen service....
Now sometimes this autorepair does the trick, the fact that I'm creating this message while the error box is showing in the bottom right corner is evidence that it's fixed the problem this time. (unless of course it's a seperate unrelated problem that just shows the same symptoms)
I'm reasonably certain it's not my router or Plusnet that is the problem, for two reasons.  The first is I have another PC in the house (running XP) that is still happily connected while this is happening.  The second is that my mate who lives quite a few miles from me has a similar problem.  The only similarity between us is that his laptop is connecting wirelessly and is running Vista Home Premium 32Bit.

Is there something I can be doing whenever this happens that will restore the internet without having to reboot?

I tried previously to see if this was in the MS Knowledge base, but find it very difficult to come up with a decent wording for the problem.
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Intermittent internet loss

Hi there,
It would be interesting to know whether or not your network card is still 'talking' to your router when this happens.
From a command window (Start, type 'cmd' in the Search field and click OK) try the following the next time this happens:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
C:\Users\Bobby>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
  Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Bobs-PC
  Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
  Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
  IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
  WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000B
ase-T Controller
  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
  Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
  DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

It's the bits in bold that you're looking for. I'm wondering whether or not DHCP assignment to the Vista PC has gone a little screwy.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

amcclean
Rising Star

I had similar problems and it drove round the bend for months it even stopped windows update working.
I realised that as well as having my wireless usb adapter trying to access the net my computer was also still trying to use the in built wired connections.
I solved my problem by entering the bios and turning off my machines in-built ethernet connections. Doing this alone in windows network sharing centre did not do the trick it only worked when actioned in the bios.
MY PC has not dropped the net once in about 4 months since i did this.
Windows update is also back working. I think my pc was confused as to which connection to get data via.
A
Carpa_Bob
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob
Hi there,
It would be interesting to know whether or not your network card is still 'talking' to your router when this happens.
From a command window (Start, type 'cmd' in the Search field and click OK) try the following the next time this happens:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
C:\Users\Bobby>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
   Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Bobs-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000B
ase-T Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

It's the bits in bold that you're looking for. I'm wondering whether or not DHCP assignment to the Vista PC has gone a little screwy.

The computer and router are still communicating when this happens because Azureus will happily download/upload while my browser gets nothing.  Also running the 'ipconfig /all' command shows no different results between the times when IE loses the internet and when it's running fine, like now while I'm typing this.
I should maybe think about setting up the email on this machine to see if that will still function during those occasions when IE is "having a lie down".