Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inter building networking

chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Inter building networking

Quote from: chillypenguin
Would it be possible to locate a switch half way between to the two building (or at least within 100 metres of each) ? This would get over the 100 metre limitation.
Mains electricity does not need to be available at the intermediate point, as you could use a cheap domestic style switch that has an external power supply, and run a low voltage cable alongside one the the ethernet cables. (Use at least 1.0mm2 cable to prevent voltage drop.)

Quote from: pjmarsh
Not really chilly.  All that is between the 2 buildings is a grave yard and a field.  Not even a shed in sight!  I could put a man hole half way, but I suspect the switch wouldn't like the middle of winter!
Phil

At the cost of some of the fibre options they could build a very nice potting shed, with the savings !
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

That's a possibility, though I'm not sure how well it would go down in the grave yard!!!  Shocked
I may have aquired 130m of fibre.  Though I'm not sure if it is long enough, or what type it is!  If for example it had SC connectors on it, would it be ok to use a coupler to extend the fibre?  I'm off work today, so am hoping to pop down later and get a more accurate measurment of the distance of the cable run.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chillypenguin
Grafter

My concern with underground fibre, would it getting damaged by errant spade work. Are you planning on running it in any containment / trunking / conduit what ever the correct term is?
But it is certainly the professional way of doing the job if the funds are there.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Yep, it would be well protected in some way.  I've got a couple of different routes in mind that would mean it doesn't go to close to where any graves wil ever be dug.  I was also thinking of burying it about 1m below ground, so any other reason anyone might dig around would be ok.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Totally off the wall, but...
How fast does the link between the two need to be? Would two separate broadband connections and VPN the two together be an option?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I was thinking about that as a possibility.  We would need a new phone line installed in the hall, but that's not a biggy.  One of the uses of the link that we would like to uterlise is to stream high quality video and audio between the 2.  We do a lot of kids work in the hall, so at times it would be good to do a live link between the 2 to do interviews etc...  Quality needs to be pretty good as it will be projected on 10' screens at either end.  There is also the odd special service where the building just isn't big enough, but people would like to be involved even if they aren't in the same building.  In the past we've done dvd's of them and distributed them, but it would be good if they could watch live from the hall. I would have though even with adsl2+ the upload would be a limiting factor on quality, and there's not date for our exchange to be on that yet.  We're only a large(ish) village, so we tend to get forgotten about where BT is involved!
Phil

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Sounds like that isn't a possibility then - I had been thinking of Max Premium which gives you 832K upload - you might only need it at the church end.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

We would probably want to send video each way (and at times at the same time!).  We might have some people willing to pay for it and put in the work.  It's just getting the proposals together with all the info they could possibly need, showing some alternatives, and justifying it all!!!  I've got a couple of PA and AV proposals to come up with as well.  We aren't affraid of spending money where the outcome will be beneficial (within reason!!!).
Phil

Denzil
Grafter

I may have aquired 130m of fibre.  Though I'm not sure if it is long enough, or what type it is!  If for example it had SC connectors on it, would it be ok to use a coupler to extend the fibre?  I'm off work today, so am hoping to pop down later and get a more accurate measurment of the distance of the cable run.
Phil

Just for the record, you can connect more than one fibre optic together with the right coupler. There is always a small signal loss when doing this, but it should make no noticeable difference.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for that Denzil.
I've been looking around and found a few things.  Any good?
Loose Tube C S T Armoured 62.5/125 LSOH.  At 95p a metre it seems quite reasonable.
These media converts seem very cheap at £44.26 each.  Are they too cheap?
These also seem cheap (though nearly twice the price of the dlink ones at £80.49), but are an ok make aren't they?
If any of this stuff is any good, how would I go about terminating the cable?  Does it need to be done by a pro, or is it something that's easy enough to do?  Would you go into a patch panel, or just have connectors on the main fibre?
Thanks
Phil

Lurker
Grafter

I can kinda vouch for the Allied Telesyn kit, as I have a similar model here (MC101XL) - Basic difference appears to that mine has ST connectors (and an option to swap from MDI to MDI-X) whereas that model has SC connectors.
TBH though, I can't see a reason not to try the Dlink ones - I mean, they aren't doing a huge amount of work, and its a pretty mature technology.
Its not a particularly difficult skill to terminate fibre - the difficulty if finding somebody with the kit to do it. (Often running to hundreds of pounds in itself - in some cases over a thousand.)
Lurker
Grafter

Perhaps http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/acatalog/62.5_125__OM1_Fibre.html would be more appropriate?
Save worrying about terminating it yourself.
Also, rather than buying a patch panel to terminate it in, simply get a generic plastic junction box (at least 1500mm across its shortest face) and mount where you want to terminate the infrastructure fibre.
Bring the fibre into the bottom of it, secure using a compression fitting.
Get a self adhesive cable tie clip, and put it on the back, offset to one side, mirror on the other side.
Drill holes in the top suitable for passing through the surface mount SC connectors provided, and secure them, coiling up gently the fragile fibre 'tails' inside the box and secure loosely with cable ties.
Fasten on lid and you are done! Much cheaper, and you can mount it wherever you need to, in the direction you need to.
Its the way ours was first fitted many moons ago, I think the unused box might still be on the wall if you want pics to help illustrate.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

2 problems with that particular one James. 1st it's only 100m.  I walked it out today and think that fibre would need to be 210m long.  The other thing is the 1 I posted was armoured, where that one isn't.  I've seen none armoured cable else where at £164 for 210m with the connectors on.  I was just thinking for the extra money it would be worth the armour.
Phil

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I've also used  the Allied Telesyn kit, MC101XL , works fine.
We use them to handle fibre links between process control systems on places like chemical plants.

Lurker
Grafter

2 problems with that particular one James. 1st it's only 100m.  I walked it out today and think that fibre would need to be 210m long.  The other thing is the 1 I posted was armoured, where that one isn't.  I've seen none armoured cable else where at £164 for 210m with the connectors on.  I was just thinking for the extra money it would be worth the armour.
Phil

They make them to any length you want - the 100m is just so you can compare prices with other suppliers.
For example, you can see via their site that the cable used in the pre-terminated example retails at £0.68/m, whilst the amoured retails for £0.95/m.
This allows us to calculate that they are asking for £113 for terminating the cable (in the case of the SC-SC one)
So, you would expect a 210m pre-terminated (non-armoured) to be in the region of £255.80 [(0.68x210)+113]
Following a similar calculation, you may expect the armoured, pre-terminated to be in the region of £312.50
Clearly I allow there is some naivety in expecting these prices, but naive shock is an often overlooked negotiating tactic.
I'd expect them to try to get away with charging in the region of £350 for what you want (ie, pre-terminated armoured multimode cable 210m in length)
Why not give them a call, see what they would actually quote you, before pooh-poohing the idea.
Unless of course you have located somebody with the requisite equipment to terminate the cable yourself.
If you want me to call them let me know, I'll see what I can get out of them if you aren't comfortable with bartering etc. (I think you have my contact details from the PUG board?)

EDIT: Second thoughts - price requested - I'll let you know what they propose.