cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intenet Dongle

BenG
Grafter

Intenet Dongle

Hi yesterday I was in this shop were I do some voluntary work. well I go there because I suffer from depression and it gets me out the house. Anyone enough of my problems
Someone in there got a new laptop and they asked how to get on internet though they said they have no phone line in the flat there in, so this woman said you can get an internet dongle I never hared of one before., she said you just plug it in and that’s it.
Anyway I did a little look on Amazon for this dongle thing and came across one, I thought I maybe handy if I ever go out with my laptop away from home and I can just use the net anyway it that possible.
Anyway what my questions are is:
Can I use it anywhere I go
Can I top -up the dongle like in shops like Tesco, Like with my phone I just go into the shop and give them a card and put £5 one and that lasts for ages.
Anyway if you can answer my questions that be cool. Just thought it maybe a handy thing to have if I go out and about.
Thanks Smiley
6 REPLIES 6
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Intenet Dongle

For occasional use, T-Mobile do a pay as you go dongle which you top up with credit then you can use 1 day for £2, 1 week for £7 or a month for £15 (fair use policy applies).
The cheapest on their website is £10.00 for the dongle (+ top-up) though I've seen them for as little as £5 occasionally in places like PC world.
See: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/usb-stick/?WT.mc_id=ON_MEC_S_Google_BRAND_PAYG_MBB_B... (scroll down for the pay as you go ones).
I think you can top up by voucher but I always just do mine on line (you can connect to top up even if you have no credit left).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Before you buy carefully check the coverage offered by the dongle. The signal strength can vary enormously and while you might get connection it might be via a slower older transmission type. The providers have websites where you can check. 
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
drj
Aspiring Pro

All the major mobile phone operators offer these don't they? And have done for some years? I'm genuinely surprised you haven't seen them before. Which ones have you seen at Amazon - there are different types.
I fortunately have an old-style Vodafone one which is by far the best since it doesn't have a time limit on usage. More recently they've gone in line with others and the credit expires.
Topped up online so no hassle - I spend about £30 a year (2x£15 top-ups).
It very difficult to check coverage. The mobile phone maps for my house show excellent coverage but my mobile phone hardly works downstairs. I've never actually tried the mobile internet dongle at home but it's worked fine where I have tried it - which is mainly my second home that doesn't justify having a normal internet connection (unless someone can point me in the direction of PAYG wired broadband...) even at Plusnet rates.
BenG
Grafter

Hi thanks for the info well anyway I did manage to get one last week it was a TMobile for £30 one from a phone shop anyway tried it on the Laptop software was a pain to install and never worked first time, Had to uninstall then reinstall finally got a connection but the connection was really slow I am talking slower than 56k modem. so I don’t know I may have a look at a Voda phone one I did see some on Amazon so may try one of them. What I may do is take my laptop out with me this week to the shop I go to I herd a few people that live around there get good connection maybe it were I live not sure.
drj
Aspiring Pro

I'm not sure why you need it to have a good connection speed at home - you won't be using it there - will you?
BenG
Grafter

Well not really but may do now and then, but I am going to take my laptop to the shop I goto today and see how it works there.
Most want it when I am out and about.
adie:quote