Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient RAM

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Insufficient RAM

Why can my computer only access 4mb of RAM ? Is this something to do with the limitations of the computer or is it a limitation of the software (Windows 7)
Is there any way I can increase the amount of accessible RAM ? ie linking 2 computers together or making some sort of hardware changes ?
The problem is Photoshop CS5 with it's insufficient memory message........ stacks of posts about this on the internet........adobes response lists various things to try such as closing down OPEN GL , altering paging file,cache memory , scratch disk on separate hard drive etc but for most users this is not solving the problem.
If it's a software problem could a possible solution be to install a dual boot system and use Linux or some other program would that allow photoshop to see any additional installed RAM or would photoshop not run on a Linux based system ?
Seems that users of Macs appear to have no problem using this latest version of Photoshop.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
24 REPLIES 24
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Insufficient RAM

Would it be correct to assume you are running Windows 7 32 bit
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: gleneagles
scratch disk on separate hard drive

My tame Photoshop expert (neighbour) says this is VITAL on Windows.
(He's now moved to a Mac but for other reasons on other software)
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Yes correct, I am using Windows 7 (32 bit)........ I suspect you are going to say if I had windows 7 (64bit) this would not be a problem but it does seem that people with the 64bit version are still having problems with the program. Other than going down that route is there any other possible solution ?
I was looking at my video Card details  GeForce 8600 GT Graphics memory 1791 MB. Video Memory 256 MB. Shared System Memory 1535 MB. (Driver is up to date) This is a fairly old card would it make any difference in upgrading it or is that a waste of time ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It looks as though the video card is taking 1.5GB of the total which doesn't leave much left - what screen resolution are you running
I assume that you installed Windows 7 on an old machine - in which case is it a 32 bit or 64 bit processor
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

HP Sauce,
I Have the scratch disk set to another Hard drive, however it is not an empty hard drive but does have plenty of space left on it, it would be interesting to know if your neighbour is recommending a empty hard drive or is that irrelevant.
I am also using fairly large files, by reducing the files (photographs) to about 20% of their size I can make alterations without any insufficient RAM messages but that is no solution unless you are happy with blurry photographs.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But you still won't be able to address more than 4GB (not 4MBytes) - unless you load Windows 7 64 bit and the Photoshop 64 bit program - oh you mean there isn't one?
Load 64 bit Linux and use GIMP - some retraining required.
Either use dual boot or investigate loading the Windows WUBI.exe program - it will need a contiguous chunk of about 5+GB of disk space and will effectively give you a dual-boot Windows/Linux system.
See FAQ - it seems to indicate that a 64 bit PC automatically get a 64 bit OS.
http://wubi-installer.org/
Also read http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php#use
You will need to install GIMP from the repositories -- very easy - see Linux forum.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

I Think it is a 64 bit processor........Intel core 2 Duo E6320 processor Dual Core (1.86GHz & 4MB L2 Cache)
It is getting on a bit it is 2 -3 years old.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

All core2 processors are 64 bit (the core duo's/quads are the 32 bit versions).
It does seem odd that the computer memory is being shared with the graphics, given that that has its own memory - is that a windows setting somewhere?
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

When you say use GIMP do you mean use it in place of Photoshop ? or do you mean if I go down this route I can still use Photoshop via Linux.
I Have never used Linux before and know  nothing about it but if it allowed me to use this version of Photoshop I would certainly go down that route !
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Matt,
It does seem odd that the computer memory is being shared with the graphics, given that that has its own memory - is that a windows setting somewhere?
Good question must admit this struck me as odd too ? Not sure how I would check this out.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As Photoshop CS5 will run natively  in 64 bit mode there is a big advantage in using Windows 7 64 bit.
This will allow you to use as much memory as you have available.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/faq/
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

When you say use GIMP do you mean use it in place of Photoshop ? or do you mean if I go down this route I can still use Photoshop via Linux.
I Have never used Linux before and know  nothing about it but if it allowed me to use this version of Photoshop I would certainly go down that route !

No.
You cannot run most Windows programs on Linux - although there is a compatibility interface that is "worth a try" - for reasonably uncomplicated programs.
There is no reason why Windows programs should run on Linux - although programs such as Firefox can be ported from Linux to Windows or vice versa.
Have a look at GIMP - it does have a Windows port Grin
If it suits, then it's just as easy on Linux.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Matt,
Good question must admit this struck me as odd too ? Not sure how I would check this out.
Checking my 8800GT  I get this (see picture) so it looks as though shared system memory is just what it can access if needed.
You could turn off Aero which would free up a chunk
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Am I correct in thinking that a lot more programs are likely to run in Windows 7(32 bit) compared with (64 bit) ? In other words if you were using a computer for Photoshop CS5 and for nothing else than the problem of insufficient memory would be solved but if you were using it for a variety of other things it is possible a number of these might not work both Hardware & software ?
I know Microsoft list  the things that are compatible with the various versions of Windows 7 so things can be checked out beforehand.