Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing windows 7 to SSD

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Installing windows 7 to SSD

Am looking to order a new computer later today and would like advice on the easiest way to install windows 7 (from disk) to the SSD and then install Linux to give me a dual booting system.
The SSD is rated at 120 and the hard drive at 1 TB
I Have looked at a few you tube videos but there seems to be a couple of approaches to doing this and I am looking for the easiest way, so if you have done this or have experience of this please let me have your advice.
Some of the problems others appear to have come across is that the SSD is not recognised in the BIOS or they can't even get windows to load to HDD due to the UEFI settings.
Never had a problem installing windows using the old BIOS systems but UEFI is something I have never had to work with before.
One suggestion in youtube was to disconnect the hard drive so the SSD would be recognised but others suggest installing to the hard drive and then messing about with partitions in device manager but I am a bit confused.
So please advise on the easiest way to do this and any useful tips on any of the above.
Thanks.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Installing windows 7 to SSD

I did this to a new hard drive yesterday (not SSD).
I installed Win7 after creating a 70Gb partition on the drive and told it to install in there.
I then installed Ubuntu 14.04 and told it to install alongside Windows - it used the free space on the partition for its own.
Mav
Fixes: 514

There's a couple of good threads: SSDs and W7 and SSD's (Again)
SSD Optimization Guide from the first thread is invaluable.
Also, from the top of my head don't forget to urn of the paging file for the SSD.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks, some good info there.
Seems one option is to disconnect the hard drive and install directly to SSD, I assume that when the Linux installation disk goes in it will allow me set up a dual boot system on the SSD.
Looks like I have a lot of reading to do over the next few days.
Please keep the advice coming.
Thanks Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.
stallan
Grafter

Not tried it but for the Samsung drives there's the Magician software that allows you to migrate large HDDs to smaller SSDs.
Whether or not it only works on Samsung drives is another question.
On the 2 occasions I've installed SSDs I've always performed a clean install of Win 7