cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing video codec on Windows Media Player Vista

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Installing video codec on Windows Media Player Vista

Just got a new hard drive, and installed windows Vista Home Basic, plus the drivers I downloaded for my Dell inspiron 2200. Laptop.
When I try to play a DVD , windows media player says it hasn`t got the video codec to run it. !  (not much of a "media" player.... ) Cry
I have googled and found an MPEG2 codec, that is supposed to solve the problem, but HOW do I install it, and WHERE do I install it to. so that WMP will reconise it.... Undecided
I have installed VLC media player, and it works fine, but I like to have the graphic equalizer working when watching music videos, and I like the way WMP works.... (well it did with my XP, but I can`t remember that far back as to how I got it working ! ! !) Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 246

Re: Installing video codec on Windows Media Player Vista

Windows Home Basic doesn't come with a DVD codec, normally when you get a laptop you get a DVD product like Cyberlink PowerDVD - any CD's floating around with this?
Also have a look at http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Fixes: 225

VLC Player does have a graphic equaliser. Latest version (0.9.8a) has a button for it next to the play controls. Earlier versions it could be found by pressing (I think) CTRL-G.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Thanks for the linky....  Wink  have downloaded the Standard and Full versions of K-lite codec pack. and will see what happens !
Thanks for the hint about graphic equalizer on the VLC player....  Smiley  .. Do you know if you can make "playlists" on VLC? if so how? Huh
Fixes: 225

CTRL-L for the playlist dialogue box in latest version - not sure about previous but probably the same.
Never actually used playlists in any music/video app so far, though. I just prefer to leave on random Smiley
Edit: You may find something useful here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Thanks Mav,  Will see how it works out....the wiki is far too complicated for me to understand !