Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing video codec on Windows Media Player Vista

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Installing video codec on Windows Media Player Vista

Just got a new hard drive, and installed windows Vista Home Basic, plus the drivers I downloaded for my Dell inspiron 2200. Laptop.
When I try to play a DVD , windows media player says it hasn`t got the video codec to run it. !  (not much of a "media" player.... ) Cry
I have googled and found an MPEG2 codec, that is supposed to solve the problem, but HOW do I install it, and WHERE do I install it to. so that WMP will reconise it.... Undecided
I have installed VLC media player, and it works fine, but I like to have the graphic equalizer working when watching music videos, and I like the way WMP works.... (well it did with my XP, but I can`t remember that far back as to how I got it working ! ! !) Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Installing video codec on Windows Media Player Vista

Windows Home Basic doesn't come with a DVD codec, normally when you get a laptop you get a DVD product like Cyberlink PowerDVD - any CD's floating around with this?
Also have a look at http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mav
Fixes: 515

VLC Player does have a graphic equaliser. Latest version (0.9.8a) has a button for it next to the play controls. Earlier versions it could be found by pressing (I think) CTRL-G.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the linky....  Wink  have downloaded the Standard and Full versions of K-lite codec pack. and will see what happens !
Thanks for the hint about graphic equalizer on the VLC player....  Smiley  .. Do you know if you can make "playlists" on VLC? if so how? Huh
Mav
Fixes: 515

CTRL-L for the playlist dialogue box in latest version - not sure about previous but probably the same.
Never actually used playlists in any music/video app so far, though. I just prefer to leave on random Smiley
Edit: You may find something useful here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Mav,  Will see how it works out....the wiki is far too complicated for me to understand !