cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing extra memory - this might be more complex than it looks!

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Installing extra memory - this might be more complex than it looks!

I want to install another 6Gb of memory on my Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard. At present there are 3x2Gb memory sticks installed occupying three of six memory slots. There are three vacant slots into which I want to install the new memory sticks (which are identical make, size and type). OS is W7 Ultimate 64bit.
I have tried it already, and on boot up the POST is often not reporting the correct new RAM size. When it does this, W7 is thrown completely and shows BSODs when it does run (caused by various inconsistent errors, no pattern to it), and when it doesn't W7 just recycles waiting for a diagnostic disc. Taking the new memory out returns everything to normal.
Yes, I have had the memory exchanged. It was tested and found to be ok, but the exchange memory is still showing the same problem so I doubt it is also faulty.
Trawling round the web has thrown up various references to the BIOS having to create a memory map when the memory is first installed. This is kept until it is remade, and it appears that what might be happening is that W7 wants to use all the available memory, but when the BIOS is failing to detect it, there is obviously a mismatch and problems arise. The stock answer is to force the memory map to be remade. This particular motherboard doesn't have a "remap memory" option, so I suppose the obvious way is to shut down, install the extra memory, reset the BIOS by inverting the BIOS battery, reboot and reset the BIOS options.
I've upgraded memory many times in the past by simply inserting it and rebooting, but this is the first time I've ever come across anything like this. Has anyone else had this experience? All replies gratefully received! I'm reluctant to proceed as the current setup is working fine.
No broke, no fix!  Cheesy
15 REPLIES 15
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Re: Installing extra memory - this might be more complex than it looks!

You have to have Matched pairs of DIMM's hence the BSOD's, think of it as 6 slots of 3 Pairs not 6 slots of singles.  So take one of your current DIMM's out and fit 2 of the new ones and check.
A quick google and the slots are colour coded blue/orange so one each of the pair should be in neighboring slots
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: nozzer
reset the BIOS by inverting the BIOS battery, reboot and reset the BIOS options.

That, to me sounds highly inadvisable. Usually there are two pins on the motherboard that are temporarily shorted with a jumper to reset the BIOS to default.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
nozzer
Hero

Quote from: Gus
You have to have Matched pairs of DIMM's hence the BSOD's, think of it as 6 slots of 3 Pairs not 6 slots of singles.  So take one of your current DIMM's out and fit 2 of the new ones and check.
A quick google and the slots are colour coded blue/orange so one each of the pair should be in neighboring slots

It's triple channel memory, and there are three matched sticks in each channel. Won't work with just two in.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Shocked
Wow.  I'm so out of touch with PC hardware nowdays 😕
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I want to install the new memory sticks (which are identical make, size and type)

If that is true then there should not be any problems.  If you read your manual http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Rampage+II+Extreme&p=1&s=29 it says (Page 2-16): "Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency" so even quite a subtle difference between the DIMMs could cause problems.  Also, by and large, the recommendation is NOT to install in pairs (see Page 2-15).
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

there are three matched sticks in each channel. Won't work with just two in.

Yes it will (according to your manual P2-15).  Two, three four and six memory sticks are viable configurations.
nozzer
Hero

All channels are filled with identical sticks, same latency, type, manufacture etc.
CX
Grafter

Have you tried a slight voltage increase for the memory (say +0.1V)?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Have you tried the three new ones instead of the three old ones
nozzer
Hero

Yup!
Just doing a BIOS update to see if that makes any difference. There's nothing in the BIOS release notes to say that it should.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Bottom of P2-16;
"For system stability, use a more efficient memory cooling system to support a full memory load (6 DIMMs) or overclocking condition".
Does that mean: "Full memory load (6 DIMMs) does not give you a stable system unless you take extra precautions"?
JamesM
Grafter

I had the same problems with some Dominator memory, I had a 1 gig and a 512 Mb and I bought another 2 1 gig sticks. I could not get the new ram to work with the old ram even though they were the same make and spec. After trawling through loads of sites I found out that memory has revision numbers and even if it is the same spec and brand, if the revision numbers are different you can have problems.
nozzer
Hero

Sorted!
BIOS with a patch required to install a "memory recheck" feature, whatever that is.
Thanks for all your help folks...    Smiley
nozzer
Hero

Quote from: Strat
reset the BIOS by inverting the BIOS battery, reboot and reset the BIOS options.

That, to me sounds highly inadvisable. Usually there are two pins on the motherboard that are temporarily shorted with a jumper to reset the BIOS to default.

@Strat...  I got that idea from here.  1min 25sec...