Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Windows 7

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Installing Windows 7

I Install/reinstall windows 7 from a disk but find it a lengthy process, I understand it's possible to create a bootable usb drive and install it from that, the idea being that it will install in half the time.
Does anyone else do this ? Is it worth doing ? are their any Pitfalls ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Installing Windows 7

Yes, yes, and yes Smiley
I use YUMI to create bootable drives, it's absolutely superb - I've a USB stick in my wallet from which I can manage partitions with acronis trueimage, install windows or linux (several versions of each) and run any number of other diagnostics. You can get YUMI from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/
It is faster. Lots faster.
The pitfall - well, about the only thing to remember is to remove the USB stick when the computer reboots during the install process - after it's copied the files over and uncompressed them all etc.
This screen should show:
it'll copy and then expand the files, then it'll reboot. While it's rebooting, unplug the USB stick and everything will be fine Smiley
Good luck!
Pedro
Grafter

Here some more alternatives:
For windows 7 and 8 I've used this tool successfully http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?Action=html&Locale=en_US&SiteID=msusa&pbPage=Help_Win7_usbdvd_dw...
For Linux and windows there's also unebootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Other things you may need:
To make ISO files from DVD or CD I use ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/
To mount ISO and other types of image in windows I use WinCDEmu http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/
And just to corroborate what Matt said, usb installs are definitely faster. I always install from usb these days.
Good luck.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks for that, sounds good will give it a go when I need to reinstall  Windows.
Also thanks for the links which are very helpful.
One final question, I have come across a program called rufus which claims to do the job as well, anyone use it or know anything about it ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looks like it should work fine, my only problem with it is it looks like you could only have one install at a time on the USB stick it creates. On the one hand that'd save hassle and confusion, but on the other with YUMI it creates you a menu that you're given on boot to select from the different ISOs you've installed so you can have several different things on there if the stick is big enough.
It'll work fine though Smiley
jackwelland
Dabbler

i am going to install win7 onto my barebones desktop, eventually when i buy the disk, so this thread has caught my attention.
firstly -is it necessary to use USB3 to achieve a faster install of the os or is USB2 adequate and faster than disk install.
i do have a number of MINT and UBU usb sticks knocking around from downloaded .iso images but----what is the procedure for copying from disk to usb.
i'm assuming that YUMI will detect the disk drive just as it detects the .iso image in order to copy win7 to USB.
are there any hidden agendas that i need to watch for or is all so straightforward.
what size USB for win7 -------it is bigger than most LINUX distros.
does the time taken to copy to USB still make the install faster by usb than disk.
here's hoping
jackw
pcathomerepairs
Grafter

usb3 is not a requirement usb 2 will work just fine still faster than disk install
YUMI will detect the disk drive just as it detects the .iso image in order to copy win7 to USB drive
4500 g or better you can load other os systems as well as w7 on bigger drives
"does the time taken to copy to USB still make the install faster by usb than disk."  NO
jackwelland
Dabbler

Quote from: 365webhost247
usb3 is not a requirement usb 2 will work just fine still faster than disk install
YUMI will detect the disk drive just as it detects the .iso image in order to copy win7 to USB drive
4500 g or better you can load other os systems as well as w7 on bigger drives
"does the time taken to copy to USB still make the install faster by usb than disk."   NO

thanks for that -365-i did install win7 the old fashioned way last wednesday via dvd-rw drive --------took me 5 hours but most of that time was spent searching for drivers for c-media pci sound card.
perhaps the next install will be via a usb stick------i intend installing to ssd the next time when i can afford one.
thanks again
jack